• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dig out stumps?

maddog

Melli; I lived in the Adirondacks for years and had to remove many pine roots, now I live in the TN mountains and most of what I need to remove has been oak. By far the pine roots were much worse(comparable size trees) like the one you pictured. Soil boulders/rocks etc... have a lot to do with it, but the ball system in my opinion is still easier to work with. I had an old hemlock I had to remove once with a 20+ton machine(Adirondacks) made that machine lift off the ground and it still couldn't lift the root out of the ground. What I have found to make the job much easier especially for the smaller machine is to leave the tree attached, use the tree to the machines advantage.

Reedo

image.jpgimage.jpg
Both these stumps were dug out with a bobcat 331. The second one was too big for the grapple and it had to be close to 3000lbs as the skid steer got a little light in the ass end hauling it away.