• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Different type of scraper?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I recall seeing something like that in a book awhile back. Cant remember which one though! :beatsme
It was built for the U.S. Army as a transport/first attack vehicle. Had a dozer blade for knocking down what neede knocking down plus had a belly that would open up and scrape and carry 6 or 8 tons of matterial. Seemed to me like it sat alot lower than the one in the video.
None the less, thats quite the unique machine!
Jason

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
never seen anything like that before

Last edited:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I recall seeing something like that in a book awhile back. Cant remember which one though! :beatsme
It was built for the U.S. Army as a transport/first attack vehicle. Had a dozer blade for knocking down what neede knocking down plus had a belly that would open up and scrape and carry 6 or 8 tons of matterial. Seemed to me like it sat alot lower than the one in the video.
None the less, thats quite the unique machine!
Jason

Have to correct you here.
You are talking about the Army Engineers M-9 ACE.
That old vehicle is built on components from the M113.
Works the same way though.
The ACE looks far from this swizz carrydozer..

US Engineers i have talked with dosen't have much positive things to say about the ACE.
Here is some info about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M9_ACE
Added a couple of pics for the picture freaks..:)

Attachments

• 800px-M9_ACE_Vehicle2.jpg
    800px-M9_ACE_Vehicle2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,121
  • 800px-M9ace1.jpg
    800px-M9ace1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,140

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
There's been at least one thread on here about that machine before and a couple of links, but it's still a neat looking machine.

Dirt Devil

Occupation
school student, tafe student
Had a dozer blade for knocking down what neede knocking down plus had a belly that would open up and scrape and carry 6 or 8 tons of matterial. Seemed to me like it sat alot lower than the one in the video.

Wow! I dare say for smaller contarctors this machine would come in handy, such as in the video. As well as looking on the wikipedia about it, its says that it has the ability to lower itself so as to be able to pick up speed from place to place but also get down low for a clean cut while scraping. The dozer blade on the front wouldnt go astray either, helping to push over the stockpile or flatten out some small lumps here and there.
I no its a one off machine, but would there be any reasons why it didnt hit off with some smaller contractor?

danregan

Occupation
Contractor
9-15005.jpg

heres an ACE that we used to see in iraq...

Last edited:

Deas Plant

Wottizzitt?

Hi, Folks.
Nisha-Menck, Menck-Frutiger and one or two other names, commonly called a scrape-dozer, it has a 7-8 cu, yd scraper bowl between the tracks and the blade on the front. In good conditions, it can take a full bowl plus about 5-6 cu. yds in front of the blade, push up a 3-in-1 batter and dump its bowl on top. Appearances notwithstanding, they can be quite efficient earthmovers in the right applications.

They are great for short-haul confined space jobs or where traction is a problem for conventional scrapers. All the ones that I have seen had a screamin' V8-71 'Driptroit' in them at around 300 hp and the operator sat sideways 'cos the preferred work method is backwards and forwards with minimal turning. Steering was/is by a tiller handle - towards the operator turns right, away turns left. The only one I got to play on was a stick-shift machine that was about 8-10 years old in 1974. Different. :beatsme

They are fun to play with - - - - - at least for a while.