• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Different Case 440 with Slobber / Wetstacking

BeenLookin

IMG_6172.jpegIMG_6170.jpegIMG_6173.jpegHello gents, this is regarding a different Case 440 machine from my other post. I have been reading up on wetstacking/slobbering on diesel engines and the various causes.

I am looking at a Case 440 skid to buy. NOT the same Case 440 from an earlier post with corrosion. This is a different one!

This machine has under 1,000 hours. I noticed it had shiny "slobber" at the exhaust that is dry to the touch but was obviously wet at one point. Owner said machine wasn't worked all that much and was probably due to idling.

Previously, when engine was cold it would smoke a lot until it warmed up. Owner took machine to Case dealer and it was found that the coolant temperature switch was bad which affected the cold start advance. Once the temp switch was replaced, no more smoke. I was shown the Case Dealer receipt stating this.

Any future costly repairs I should be worried about regarding the prior slobber and smoke or does the machine just need a good hard workout to burn all the crud out of the exhaust? Is there a way to tell if carbon has built up on the cylinders, damage to turbo, etc? I am a novice at this so my skills are limited to just checking basic things without the advantage of having special tools or taking things apart. Thank you.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I saw some of that in my 440 when i was running at high alt. (about 10,500). The timing was off a bit I was told. Although it wasn't as gummy as the one in your pic.

BeenLookin

Thanks for the replies. Anybody have opinions on whether this (fixed) slobber poses any future problems? Thank you

bad Tom

With less than a thousand hours and if the engine ran good and had good power, then I think it would be ok. Like others said, run it hard and it should burn out the exhaust.

Welder Dave

Skid steers need to be run full throttle and be worked somewhat hard. Not abused but need to put a load on the engine. Putzing around at low speed and idling for long periods is bad for most diesels. On skid steers it's also hard on the hydrostatic drive system. Run the machine in question hard and see how it performs during and after a good workout. Dig some clay or something that makes it grunt a little.