• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Difference between D6R & D6RXL ?

DPete

I'm guessing the difference is longer swing frames, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking at an older D6R to buy, ser# 5LN1440. 10K hour machine but clean.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Plan R is usually just 6 roll frame ,xl is 7 roller frame.6 roller frame machine is not as balanced as 7 roller xl.Xl more track on the ground ,ride easier,1 extra roller too buy:D

DPete

Thought I counted 7 rollers, can't tell in the pic because of the push arm.

Attachments

• D6R.jpg
    D6R.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 788

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
Xl only

Thought I counted 7 rollers, can't tell in the pic because of the push arm.
From the pic. it looks like a xl. For finish work it is the only way.It is the only type I will buy.One thing is that the reg. 6 rollar will have more wt.per sq.in. on the tracks.Only a problem if you are in hard ground.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

rivroshaun

Occupation
Cat Equipment Tech Trainee
D6R Flywheel horsepower: 165hp Operating Wheight: 40,400lbs Blade S, SU, A

D6RXL Flywheel horespower: 185hp Operating Whiehgt: 41,252lbs Blade SU, A, PAT

DPete

I blew up the pic and counted the pads, it's 41 instead of 39 so I guess it's an XL , I'll see what I can dig up on the ser# from Cat

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
XL has 20cm more track length on the ground (longer roller frames) and has higher horsepower for finish grading and increased production. The longer frames make it easier to finish and allow more floatation. The track pad widths offered are the same as a standard tractor but you have a lower ground pressure due to the longer frames. This is a "inbetween" to fill the gap between a standard tractor and a LGP (widepad) version.

JDOFMEMI

Dan

Nice looking D-6R there.

You must have some work. Nice to look at new (to you) toys again isn't it.

DPete

Hi Jerry, yeah I have a job on the hook where it makes sence to buy a D6 instead of rent like I have been since the 8K's left. Not a bad machine for its hours and it is here close by, we'll see. Thinking of heading South in search of a few more if you know of any for sale

JDOFMEMI

Glad to hear that Dan.
I have a D-6R XL, and have been very happy with it. It has had minimal problems, other than the time the night shift sunk it in a muddy pond, pulled it out and hosed it off to hide the evidence, then went home. Funny thing how later the next day, the transmission in my 6,000 hr tractor quit working. When the mechanic came to inspect the problem, he found it was full of sand. It seems they had it buried up over the transmission vent in the soup, and it filled up with sand, then, about 6 hrs later, it was all over for the trans, torque, diff, and it even took out the seals and mixed with the finals.

Other than that episode, it has had the equalizer bar bushings go bad a few times, and some minor engine issues, mostly cooling problems due to the belts and pulleys being worn out in the sand. This led to broken exhaust manifold bolts, heated up and failed turbo, etc. It now has close to 17,000 hrs on it, and runs like a champ, wich surprises me because of the hard life it has had. it has been in a fair amount of cobble rock that needed a D-8, but it was all that was available.

I don't know of any down here I would recommend. The ones I have seen are rough.