• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel price going down?

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Because production and refining costs are just one aspect of pricing. Demand and usage is another. Just like used oil from restaurants used to be free, now many are selling it due to higher demand in some areas. Sure they could still give it away and make some people happy, but this is business, not charity. Demand (or desire) for really cheap stuff almost always exceeds supply. Higher prices and no shortages(unless you count the poorer countries being priced out of the market), or lower prices and first come first served. Take your pick.

Underdog

Because production and refining costs are just one aspect of pricing. Demand and usage is another. Just like used oil from restaurants used to be free, now many are selling it due to higher demand in some areas. Sure they could still give it away and make some people happy, but this is business, not charity. Demand (or desire) for really cheap stuff almost always exceeds supply. Higher prices and no shortages(unless you count the poorer countries being priced out of the market), or lower prices and first come first served. Take your pick.

I was cleaning up behind my buildings and noticed a bright new sign on the grease tank that the restaurant uses. I walk over and to the effect it said in bold lettering keep out, its ours, will call the law if you touch it! Heck there even stealing steel scrap now, thats never been a problem before.

Turbo21835

With sheet iron prices of $210 a ton, short structual iron, under 5 feet, at $250 a ton, cast iron at $220, and long iron, over 5 feet, at $210 a ton steel is getting popular around here as well. Im waiting to see jobsites have small equipment buckets, rebar, and other easy to move pieces of iron to come up missing.

I dont think this is going to last much longer. A lot of the metal prices going up has to do with China preparing for next years olympics. A lot of the talk is that once the olympics happen, China is going to back its economic growth. It would only make sense that a country that seeks to control their population would want to limit prosperity. They are already seeing uprising in areas that the government is not liked, such as Tibet.

Another thing that seems to be driving the comodity market is itself. You see oil go up, then the others start following. Coupled with a weak dollar, the markets drive higher. Top that off, with a public and government backed grain ethanol program, you see the price of farm comodites shoot thru the roof. So much for the cheap source of fuel from the amber waves of fuel, or is it grain? At last report, consumer prices were only expected to raise 2.5%. Id like to see where that is going on because around here inflation of 2.5% would be welcomed. Eggs up 40% in the last year tells the story of food items. Tack fuel on top of that, it cant lead to sustained growth for anything

alco

It's almost enough to make you cry when you figure out what diesel costs us at work. We make our own, and use every drop we can make and then some. We desparately need to increase the diesel plant's capacity, but I'm not sure if they are working on that or not.

I'm not sure what they are buying diesel for pricewise, but the last figure I heard was less than 20 cents per L for us to make our own.

Brian

Ray Welsh

Banned
Has it gone down anywhere else???

ON road here was $3.69 this morning

Roadside prices vary each week in Australia. Cheapest day to fill-up is Tuesday. Overall, the prices will continue to increase due to supply and demand. The demand increases each year due to population increase and supply is a finite resource number. Too many people on this fragile planet?? Some now pray for divine assistance but I'm not sure where these gods live......C ya ........Ray

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
On road $3.78 in Birmingham.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
price of fuel

Off-road was $3.82 here on Friday when I filled the transfer tank!:Banghead

Fuel went up to $4.19
Gas went up to $3.45
Trucking rates still the same, no one goes up, guess we will work for nothing, here in eastern NC:Banghead

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
every one pick a day or three park everything gas diesel construction equipment and see what happens may be good may be bad who knows but oil companys would lose their asses for even 1 day of shut down

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
I tell you what...I just dont get it. Diesel is outragous. Im going to start processing some biodiesel and at least mix in 20% to save me some dough.
I dont want to run 100%,but Ill definatly mix er in......

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
every one pick a day or three park everything gas diesel construction equipment and see what happens may be good may be bad who knows but oil companys would lose their asses for even 1 day of shut down

I wish we could get everyone to do this.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
If this was the 1800's we could prolly get our equipment to run on beer and rum! Personally I love 'em both but for work diesel is much sweeter. and expensive.

Northart

Diesel

Alaska Diesel where I live its $4.19 and rising every week. :mad: No relief in sight. Got so they put electric signs up, so they can change the price faster.

Attachments

• Engine Stand 004.jpg
    Engine Stand 004.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 269

Frazzy

Damn, you have it cheap over there.. About 2.5$ for 1 litre over here.. Thats around 9.45$ for 1 gallon..