• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel particulate filter.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
If two Dahlgrens got hold of the same gallon of diesel fuel I wonder what they could come up with?

Thanks for the insight.

I guess it's just something that you'll have to find a way to pass along to the customers. (Which is a whole nother subject, but I wonder how many people actually realize that all the crap government imposes on business, whether it be environmental, or saftey, or tax consequences, etc., ultimately come out of the pocket of the consumers anyway, in the form of higher prices. If they squeeze the little guy far enough to drive him out of business, whoever takes over for him will just jack the price up anyway...)

Jeff D.

digger242j said:
I guess it's just something that you'll have to find a way to pass along to the customers.

Yup, that's right.:yup

I run under a contract with the co. I pull for. Everything regarding pay is included in it. The fuel price problem is covered by a fuel surcharge. Without it, trucking would be impossible with fuel prices as they are today. With it, you may be on the winning end( actually making more money as fuel increases, if +6.25 mpg ) or loosing end (making less,below 6.25 mpg). It all depends on the #'s in the surcharge formula.

Our surcharge is based on 6.25 mpg. If I were to buy a brand new truck, that was getting less than 6.25mpg (and many post 03 trucks are) then I could go in the hole very fast with fuel at the prices today. That why trucks average mpg is SO critical. Unless you're going to try and renegotiate a contract whenever you fuel mileage is down. Our 1 contract covers 25 trucks, and usually runs for 3 years (although not carved in stone), so it's a group effort to change it.

If I went down to 5.75 mpg average, I'd have to pull an additional $4k out of my pocket/year @ $3/gal prices. That's why I'm so concerned about the new trucks fuel mileages, and why I'll be waiting a couple years to get more feedback for guys who do buy 07 trucks.