• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel Fuel in Crankcase

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
You "might" be tempted to try to get the seal out yourself using various methods.. DONT DO IT.
That baby is in there TIGHT & you'll end up gouging the aluminum hsg or the dr. shaft..
You better hope the shop has the special tool to replace JUST THE SEAL or you WILL get some grief over the seal replacement.. for just the reasons I mentioned above.
Its a cone shaped tool that's threaded on the OUTSIDE.. you slide it over the drive shaft & push it into the rubber sealing surface & screw it into the rubber.. Theres a center screw that you tighten against the end of the dr. shaft & it pops the seal out.. its pretty slick.. & dam near impossible w/o it..

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The tools to remove pump came in today. Hopefully I can get the pump off this weekend. I replaced the throttle shaft seal back in the spring, it was leaking pretty bad. The pump shop around here is pretty small and owner operated so I don’t think they will give me a hard time about the seal.
Ok that's cool. Good luck with this and FYI when you go back with pump paint your woodruff key with a bright color such as yellow, you can get paint pins at local auto parts store, and get a mirror so you can see key as it goes into gear slot.

Dean O'Brien

Dunno how you went with your pump mate, but perhaps a blow by test to see if the head is cracked leaking diesel from the channel in the head. Got me once overfilling a sump. Just another idea incase. Good luck.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I got an update on this issue today. I sent an oil sample off a few weeks ago and the results came back today. The results show <0.5% fuel dilution and say the avg is for this test is <2.0%. Everything else in the test was better than the avg for an engine with these hours. I guess this is good news but I still need to find out why the oil level is coming up. Possibly transmission oil but I don’t see how it could reach the engine oil.

The oil in this sample only had 140hrs on it instead of the normal 250 hr oil change interval. That was noted on the test though. If anyone is interested I can attach the test results.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If not fuel and not coolant does the tractor have a trans oil cooler attached to the engine? I would not think you to be getting trans oil in the engine.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The equipment hydraulic pump is bolted to the LHS of the engine timing cover - that's a likely suspect .....

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Has an oil cooler for the trans but it is separate from the radiator. The pump is bolted to the engine I hadn’t thought of that. I’m gonna check into it.

After doing some studying on the oil sample the Potassium and Sodium levels are slightly elevated Patassium is 9 and Sodium is 5 (national avg is 5 and 4 for this engine). Oil lab says that’s not high enough for concern.