• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel Fuel Chemicals

AllDodge

Have used Power Service for years, but do think its like Lucas products, cost more due to advertising. Anyone use FPPF Chemicals before, like FPPF 00119 Killem? Appears it is higher concentration and cost less

AllDodge

There is so many different ones. Good write ups on Bell Performance but they don't compare their stuff to FPPF, just Lucas, power serve, and others

Truck Shop

I'm a little leery of most of that stuff, I just like the idea of buying fuel from a good source and keeping the filters changed on a set schedule.
Anti gel for winter and that's about it. Maybe I'm just old an old critter with old critter ways but I believe most of it is a great way for some
gimmick sales. jmo

AllDodge

I got 600 gallons of FREE diesel. In short, Large Gen needed to be moved and was asked if I wanted it, YUP :)

So its in 2 - 300 gal plastic totes. Don't use much during the winter so not thinking about anti-gel.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Snake oil to a point of the marketing claims the additive brands make. Thing is, the additives must be EPA approved. That makes it easy to look at the ingredients on the EPA website. Basically, two major additive suppliers all the blenders and bottlers buy from.

I especially see a purpose for fuel lubricity additive. Especially for old-school fuel lubricated fuel pumps that were designed before the hydro-cracking of diesel fuel.

My old employer has used Power-Service for a long time. Pumps it into the tanker via API load head at the yard before going to the rack in Anchorage. The Juneau terminal puts it right into the bulk tanks.

Coaldust

Occupation
Most biocide gets purchased and applied for no good reason. Just keep the water out of the tanks. Those are particularly nasty chemicals. I’m kinda surprised they are so readily available in this day and age.

Coaldust

Occupation
Powerservice are good people to deal with. The Diesel Kleen product is perfect for our situation. Lubricity additive and cetane improver. Lot of the fuel we purchased had lower-scale cetane numbers. Lower than what Mercedes and VW require. Another legit reason for a fuel additive. We don’t worry about pour point improvers because we switch ULSD1 in the winter. No reason for cold-weather additives.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We run the power service stuff, in my own and customers rigs. Now that it's getting cold up north here we stock some of the white bottle and 911 too, used it a few times on generator calls especially.

Coaldust

Occupation
Good enough for Uncle Ted, is good enough for me. Pretty funny story about how quickly Power Service realized they had made a marketing mistake and dropped that sponsorship faster than a hot potato. Maybe someone 88505ED9-76B0-4A7B-9510-2050005B5C42.jpeg could lay that story out better than me.

Coaldust

Occupation
Nobody has mentioned it yet. There is already a good chance that your fuel is treated. Over-concentration isn’t helpful with additives. Ask your supplier.
Your favorite gas station person behind the counter won’t know, but the manager will know who delivers the fuel. Call and ask.

Coaldust

Occupation
Rewards on the Rez!
Get anything you want at that place. Calm your nerves after surviving Cabbage Patch with a cold fountain drink and a beef jerky. Top off the saddles, and hit the Highway again.

Coaldust

Occupation
Not sure if I’ve shared this. I had a fuel truck driver, run out of fuel, driving in down-town Anchorage on W. Sixth Avenue. The 4600 gallon tanker stopped right in front of the FBI building at rush hour. Of course, his situation gained some attention from the backed up commuters and the Feds, looking out their blackout windows.

He, grabbed a five-gallon pail of Powerservice from the bucket box, filled the saddle, primed the DD15 and got it running. So if you are wondering if a engine will run on straight fuel additive,....

I drained the saddle when the truck got back to the yard. Didn’t appear to create any issues. Except, the driver was terminated the following day for that stunt.

Reactions: DB2