• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Did Detroit make a straight 8-71?

oarwhat

Like the title says did Detroit make a straight 8-71? Not a V. My buddy says he's looking at a boat with them in it. I've never heard of one. Thanks

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Like the title says did Detroit make a straight 8-71? Not a V. My buddy says he's looking at a boat with them in it. I've never heard of one. Thanks
Near as I know... No, but with Detroit Diesel, you never know. More than likely its a 6-71 inline.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
8-268, but I think perhaps it would look a bit bigger than the 71 series.....

Much bigger! I've worked on Cleveland V8s and 16s, they were about 9' tall above the deck. A boat with a pair of inline 8s, would be a big boat indeed. I think they were about 720 HP apiece at 620 RPM. Took about 425PSI for the distributed air start to work. Each cylinder had an extra cam to control air admission for startup. And once they were running that big blower could sure howl, especially the V16s.

lantraxco

Don't forget the inline 6 was used in inline tandem, twin, and QUAD power units! Would like to see a quad running, doubt if there's any left anywhere.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
The last quad I saw was in the 80's in the Kenai, AK area. It was powering an ancient drill rig, way undersized for the day.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
For sheer noise value, try a 6-110 twin unit. worked on one powering a drilling mud pump years ago. It has since been refitted with twin Cummins 855s.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The 16V-71 is two 8V-71s mounted flywheel to flywheel so I suppose it is possible. One would be reverse rotation. Don't know why one would though.

Not really or at least the ones I worked on. A more accurate discription would be nose to nose. Those were two specially designed V8 blocks bolted together and the crankshaft was actually two sections bolted together. There were two sets of timing gears driving a total of four camshafts. Two blowers one driven off each end of the engine. But only one governor with linkage connecting all four injector racks. One water pump and one oil pump and four 4-71 heads with some special fittings to connect the fuel and water passages between them.

I never saw one in person but have seen some pictures of 24V-71 engines, same idea but using 12V-71 blocks modified to do the same. Not sure if they were regular production on a limited/experimental design.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I am thinking 6-110. Maybe he counted the cylinders wrong when he looked at it. That was a common engine found everywhere in the 50's and early 60's.

lantraxco

CAT 3500 series work like that as I recall, nose to nose with a dampener coupling between. The 3516's for sure, and I think the 12's.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
CAT 3500 series work like that as I recall, nose to nose with a dampener coupling between. The 3516's for sure, and I think the 12's.
Your memory is failing you Don. The 3512 & 3516 are both single-block engines with a single crank, although the 3516 does have two joined camshafts on each side. You might be thinking of the 3524 which was the original engine used in the 797, it was basically two 3512s coupled together.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Not really or at least the ones I worked on. A more accurate discription would be nose to nose. Those were two specially designed V8 blocks bolted together and the crankshaft was actually two sections bolted together. There were two sets of timing gears driving a total of four camshafts. Two blowers one driven off each end of the engine. But only one governor with linkage connecting all four injector racks. One water pump and one oil pump and four 4-71 heads with some special fittings to connect the fuel and water passages between them.

I never saw one in person but have seen some pictures of 24V-71 engines, same idea but using 12V-71 blocks modified to do the same. Not sure if they were regular production on a limited/experimental design.

The one's we had were in an big air compressor mounted to the back of a brand new 9310 American Crane driving the hammer on a Conmaco 300 hammer. I remember it having twin starters one on each side mounted near the middle one facing either way. Maybe they were a special block and not coupled back to back as I thought. That was a long time ago. It was a direct mount to the compressor. We had two of these stacked on top of each other instead of counterweight. That was a noisy outfit between the 2 16-71s screaming and the 44,000 lb. hammer pounding. I roosted 8 miles away and could hear it clearly from home when off shift. We ran them for 24/7 with only holidays off for almost two years at Beulah, ND in about 1978 to 80 building the Antelope Valley power plant.

lantraxco

Your memory is failing you Don. The 3512 & 3516 are both single-block engines with a single crank, although the 3516 does have two joined camshafts on each side. You might be thinking of the 3524 which was the original engine used in the 797, it was basically two 3512s coupled together.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear it Nige, pity I can't seem to selectively forget any of the bad stuff, only stuff I might need to know. I do remember the camshafts as I recall there were four separate part numbers and between new, reman, and old and new TYPE you had sixteen possibles to sort and get in the right corners. Or I could have dreamt that too, lol.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
The V16's are 2 V8 blocks attached nose to tail. There are some coupling pins that are bored and tapped. The blocks are slid close together and coupled with the clamp assemblies. The clamps are left loose with the blocks laying upside down. A straight steel shaft is bolted in the main caps to align the main bore then the clamps are torqued. Once the plug is removed from the main galley assembly can begin.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I do remember the camshafts as I recall there were four separate part numbers and between new, reman, and old and new TYPE you had sixteen possibles to sort and get in the right corners. Or I could have dreamt that too, lol.
Pretty much correct, although the old type cam no longer exists there is now a Reman Upgrade-to-New option (your old cam as a Core and a guaranteed new cam in exchange) as well, so 12 Part Numbers rather than 16. Somewhere I have a photo of a 3516 that failed a piston skirt and not only managed to break both camshafts on that side of the engine but split the block from top to bottom as well. Happy daze .......