• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

deutz f3 l1011 rebuild

Wes J

I've never worked on a Deutz. Are they all built like this with cam driven pumps for each injector?

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Yes, kinda gotta look at the entire engine as the fuel pump housing. What is your timing chest is also your governor housing. They are strange critters, but very simple. Very reliable with proper maintenance.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
At least the air/oil cooled ones are. The liquid cooled pre tier IV are individual pump and nozzle also. Tier IV everybody switched to common rail high psi fuel injection over a certain horsepower/kw.

Wes J

I used to work on a hot top crew and they had a roller with a Deutz. The fuel economy was crazy. They ran it out of fuel once and it started right up after refueling.

snakeknuckles

So my pumps all have deutz # 0427 1701. Original assembly had no shims. When I measure x-A as manual shows all 3 cylinders show a difference of 1.5 mm. Which means when pump is sitting on follower with cam at bottom lobe you should be able to measure x-A directly as the gap between the block and the pump sealing surface?

I ordered 1.1 mm shims from deutz

Also got a lift pump to put in the fuel line coming from tank

snakeknuckles

I don't think it has smoke control. How can I tell? The pumps all have red tags (see photo) but numbers don't look anything like the ones you showed. Also cam followers are solid. Tx

Attachments

• deutzpump.jpg
    deutzpump.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • deutzpump.jpg
    deutzpump.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
But your tags are red. Should be turbo charged with smoke control. I think I would consult with the dealer service department in your area. And those numbers that are identical, I think those are your part number through Bosch

snakeknuckles

Deutz dealer is pretty useless... Did I tell you they are the ones that first told me this was a sleeved motor and they advised buying a reman engine vs rebuilding?
I am planning on putting one set of shims in which should make X-A<.5mm. I have to ask again: Why not just use a feeler gauge between pump and block to measure X-A directly- The A dimension (block to follower) is pretty easy measure w/ depth gauge but the pump measurement, X is a little more difficult as the surface that ride in the cam follower is not necessarily parallel to the mating surface when the pump is on the bench. Also the manual shows a weird dotted line at the bottom of the pump (like there is additional stroke that the pump has?)- see attached?

Attachments

• deutzpump1.jpg
    deutzpump1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

snakeknuckles

Now that is a horse of a different color. No where in the manual does it indicate that you should compress pump to measure X. that would explain why my x dimension is off the scale... I might have to use a vise to measure that compressed length or is there another way?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
No, no. Your desired height is on the tag of the Individual pumps. It should be the number that varies between them. Each pump is different. So, for example, if your pump says like 6-7000 you divide that by 100 which comes back to 60 or 70 mm. That is your desired installed height. That is dictated by your pump ID tag. You subtract your actual measured height from desired and shim accordingly.
Yes, I know that nobody does a good job of explaining this.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Info I show is for B/FL 1011F , X should equal 58 mm . So for that you would measure depth to follower , this is "A"
If your desired is 58mm subtract 58 from measured depth and shim.

Attachments

• 15235556849372671091625209755510.jpg
    15235556849372671091625209755510.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16

snakeknuckles

I believe these are my original pumps. They all have identical #'s: Bosch and Deutz. There are no tags on pumps except for the riveted nameplate- see above I got this machine from a guy who claims to know its history and he said nobody has ever done any work on the motor since new except ordinary maintenance. (timing belt was original). My measurements for A are all 58.5mm

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So what does the service manual specific to your engine state is the correct dimension, 58mm? If so, you would shim .5 mm to bring into spec.

snakeknuckles

The only manual I have is the downloaded 3 language one that shows the procedure on page 4.00.44. If I read it correctly, it says to measure both X and A. X is always assumed to be greater than A and you shim up the pump to equal that difference. I am thinking that the pump's spring extends the pump plunger out past the end of the pump stroke and that little delta needs to be compressed before taking X measurement. I will be back at the machine this weekend and will see if I can figure that out. Tx