• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz F2l 1011 2cyl Air/Oil Cooled Diesel Eng. Problems Starting A Good Engine? HELP!

Bespokesapwood

Occupation
engineer, welder, creative mole
Deutz F2l 1011 Air/Oil Cooled Diesel Engine. Problems Starting this GOOD Engine? HELP!
I recently acquired a Deutz F2l 1011 2cyl diesel Engine which was originaly taken from a bobcat. its in great condition and was running fine when I bought it (seen it running). We collected this engine roughly 400miles away in London and had to take it out of the bobcat ourselves.
So we took it out and placed the engine into the van for the journey home, though in transit it slipped its straps and chocks and rolled onto its side, leaking a little engine oil out of the air intake, luckily we removed the air filter unit before transit.
Upon return to county durham this engine was unloaded and stood back upright for a few weeks before we came to use it. on checking the oil their was no issue with oil level so it hadn't leaked a lot on rolling over on its side in the van. So the engine was mounted onto a large air receiver tank to power a large Broomwade RM41 air pump.
the engine had all the wiring ripped to pieces in the bobcat so sadly we had to start pretty much from scratch with the electrics, though the battery leads and starter electric cabling was all fine. So all I really had to do their was fit a non latching on/off button which was also removed from the original bobcat.
I also added a ground and positive to the fuel shutoff solenoid and its heard to latch on and off when activated, which I also added a latching 2 way switch for switching this solenoid on and off. The switch also came from the bobcat. So that was that and to my knowledge this should have turned over nicely considering I knew this engine to be a sound runner. BUT! I fired up for the first initial turn over for around 30 seconds with a very slow hitty missy type slow rev speed and then stalled. I tried the accelerator lever whilst it spluttered away and that did nothing, also the stop lever had no effect at all. Ever since this it has point blank refused to start.
ever since then I have basically cracked the copper high pressure fuel line nuts for each cylinder upto the injectors and turned the engine over to eliminate any air lock in the line, fuel is trickling out of the cracked nuts at both injectors so I know the pumps are providing fuel. I also bypassed the fuel lift pump and fuel filter and lifted the 5 gallon fuel drum above the engine to simply gravity feed this engine directly from the tank to the fuel pump just until I get it running again in the most direct fuel line possible. Then I will introduce the fuel filter and maybe the lift pump all being well, or I may just keep it as a gravity feed as this really makes no difference to me at all.
I really cannot see anywhere else besides an air locked fuel line that is preventing this starting? a couple of concerns of mine are maybe a couple of stray electric cables, one from some sensor that's either oil temp or some kind of oil sensor around near the fuel lift pump. Also two small wires coming from the alternator, which from a deutz manual say they connect to this oil sensor and the other to some other sensor, these two wires are real small guage wires so aren't for any kind of massive load.
Also one other problem encountered was when we first wired up the battery and my son placed the brass battery terminal wires the wrong way round and almost immediately their was a small amount of smoke that came from this alternator enclosed within the fan unit. This has probably buggered the alternator and burnt out a couple of diodes or resisters or something, but I don't imagine that the alternator output if working or not would be critical to this type of engine starting and running. I imagine a buggered alternator would simply prevent the battery charging and that's about it? Or am i WRONG?

Any help would be massively appreciated as not having this compressor means we cant run the plasma cutter and were spending a small fortune on steel cutting grinder discs whilst we haven't a plasma running. Thanks ever so much guys... New User JonPaul, Sapwood Workshop.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sure sounds like no fuel to me. Bleed it some more. Trickle at the pressure lines is not enough. It should have some pressure if the line is just cracked. Is it possible there is an air trapped in the pump that needs to be bled first.

Might try connecting a battery charger to the oil sensor leads that came of the alternator. No charge may not let it keep running.

Last edited: