• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz F10L 413

Hydraumind

Does F10L 413 engine require preheating at cold weather +5 degree C.
What is the recommended timing on this engine (120mm cylinder bore)
By the way a crown clearance of 1.1mm to 1.3 mm is standard
The engine takes almost 30s to start and smell unburnt fuel and grey smoke when cold. And once warm, it runs normal

Cmark

These Deutz engines are usually good starters in cold weather. If you want a quick and dirty, long distance internet diagnosis it sounds like you may have low compression. Leaking valves or head gaskets possibly. Check valves by cranking with manifolds removed. Head gaskets by putting white paper between cylinders.
Here's the best I can do with my 1980's quick reference.

dtz.jpg

Hydraumind

Just for information, we should measure lead wire on both end of the firing hole at the thinnest point. And both measured values should be within spec of bump clearance.
Some of the values I have measured are 0.05 to 0.1mm more than spec, does this cause the long starting time

Cmark

I would use four pieces of wire evenly spaced and calculate the average thickness. If the average is more than 1.3mm then it's out of spec. In my experience you're most likely to lose compression through leaking valves.
Does it have a cold start (excess fuel) device and is it working?

Hydraumind

It does not have a cold start device, someone already removed it. The fuel pump is an RQV, I think the rack will not move to max delivery position unless I push fuel lever to max while starting, no?
I wll start by measuring compression pressure

Cmark

It's been well over 20 years since I tampered with these things, but I think I remember some pumps with a solenoid which would let the rack go beyond the full fuel setting (called excess fuel) for staring purposes. In any case, I'm pretty sure the rack should move to full fuel with the engine stopped.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I have a lot of experience with those Deutz engines. However, that was 30 years ago. As I recall, our Deutz pump engines did not have head gaskets. If you got any head leakage, it was time for a new engine.

Hydraumind

Retarding the injection timing will help in this case (altitude 1600m and cold temperature)? The timing is set 26degree, and the paper listed 22degree. Should I set it 20degree, does it hurt the pistons