• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz Diesel engine

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
We Have an air cooled Deutz diesel (maybe 50 horse power or less) on a year 2000 concrete pump. The timing belt broke. Will this engine have valve train damage, or is it designed so the valves won't hit any pistons if it is out of time? Don't know the model number unless it is BF4L 1011F.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Yes, BF4L 1011F is the engine model number. It's hard to say if you've done valve train damage unless you were around to hear the belt break. Better to err on the side of caution and check before starting. :my2c

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
Would pulling the valve cover and watching the valves open and close be sufficient, or would you say pull the head. On some engines I have heard that the valves would not hit the piston even if the valve was stuck wide open.

lumberjack

One of our Deutz has broken its timing belt three times... Still on the same valves although I've had to replace a rocker stand and the lifters this last time.

Hendrik

Would pulling the valve cover and watching the valves open and close be sufficient, or would you say pull the head. On some engines I have heard that the valves would not hit the piston even if the valve was stuck wide open.
I had a hard time believing that Deutz would put a rubber timing belt on an engine but http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gehl-6640-Timing-Belt-Component-Kit-DEUTZ-BF4M2011F-/220734109058#vi-desc
This could be of interest https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...obcat-863-timing-belt-(deutz-bf4m1011-timing)
Anyway in regards to valves hitting pistons, in the mechanical world there are two types of engines, non-interference and interference. Non- interference engines are designed so the valves cannot touch the piston even if the timing goes out, whereas in interference engines the valves can hit the piston unless the timing is correct. Most modern engines are interference engines.

crewchief888

pull the valve cover, you'll probably see the bent pushrods, they are very lightweight, and small diameter, they take the abuse when the belt snaps and the pistons hit the valve
i've never seen a bent valve in a 1011, and only 1 time i've seen a burned valve or damaged seat, and that was from a bad injector. the engine was run 1500+ hours with a "little miss and hestitation, and didnt seem to have any power"
those engines require 2 timing tools and a belt tension guage to properly time the engine and set the tensioner.
always install a new tensioner with the new belt.

check around the forum, i've seen several threads on bobcat 863/873/s250 timing belt failures.

hardjob

crewchief888 you seem to have a great deal of info on this engine and on my 1011f i seem to have my cam and crank out of time is that possible can you shad some lite please

crewchief888

crewchief888 you seem to have a great deal of info on this engine and on my 1011f i seem to have my cam and crank out of time is that possible can you shad some lite please

anything is possible.
what makes you think it's out of time?
going to need some more info.

:drinkup

crewchief888

Orville.... those little engines are pushrod eating buggers.... lol... when the belt breaks. Grampa.

yea but they are a rugged engine, i've seen them run all day long with 240* oil temp.
worked on more than my share of them, even when a belt breaks,
new belt and tensioner, set the timing, replace the bent pushrods, adjust the valves and away she goes.
recycling guys loved them, didnt have to clean the cooling system every 2 or 3 hours like they do with lift trucks

:drinkup

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
Orville.... those little engines are pushrod eating buggers.... lol... when the belt breaks. Grampa.

My brother has maybe 5 of those engines on Schwing concrete trailer pumps. After he lost the one belt he changed the rest of the belts before they broke. He has yet to fix the one that the belt broke on. He had a spare Deutz and just changed the engine. I will show him the post on the Bobcat 863 timing belt and maybe that will get him on the right track.