• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz 1012 Help

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Hi folks,

I didn't know where else to put this, so I put it here. I have a customer with a Deutz BF4M1012, it's running his concrete pump. We had a problem with the engine last year with 2 injectors stuck open so bad, the engine would take forever to shut down, and when it fired back up, black spooge out the exhaust. Yeah, bad injectors. So I replaced em all, and that problem went away. Fast forward about 10 months, and maybe 30 hours of operation later and it's back. This time, it's because the oil level is climbing. Immediately my mind went back to the injectors. but I checked em and they're all good. I thought it may have been the fuel galley / fuel pumps, but I pressurized the galley and it held 50 psi for an hour. I was trying to simulate the lift pump pressurizing the galley, thinking fuel might be leaking past the pumps into the oil pan. No luck there. So I called the guy back because he actually changed the oil before he sent the machine to me, so I never actually saw the oil. I asked him to describe it to me, and he said it looked thin, and sort of "pee green". Not foamy, not grey, not watery, but green. Fuel won't turn it green. Water / coolant will turn it foamy and grey. What turns it green?

This thing ran for 30 hours and built up 2.5 gallons worth of stuff in the oil pan. The oil should be about 2.5 gallons when drained, and when it was changed this time, it almost filled a 5 gal bucket. If it was leaking that much in fuel, the damn thing wouldn't run at all. If it were coolant, the tank would be empty (it's not, coolant is fine). The only other liquid that's even available is hydraulic fluid. There are 2 pumps that run directly off this engine, and one of them has it's PTO in the accessory case. It's certainly possible to leak 2.5 gallons of hydraulic fluid in 30 hours, but will that turn the engine oil green?

Thanks for any tips!

BigWrench55

I'm with funwithfuel. Remove the pumps and run it. If you already eliminated fuel, and coolant then I would think hydraulic oil. Are the pumps mounted directly to the engine? If so you probably have a shaft seal fail and hydraulic oil is coming into the engine.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Actually it was a pump. This machine has 2 pumps, one big ol Rexroth on the main output shaft and a smaller one on an accessory pad. I took that one loose and you could watch oil seeping out of it. That oil would drain directly into the oil pan. And oh by the way, the hydraulic fluid was low. So... yeah that seal has gone bye bye. Thank y’all!