• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit diesel 6V92TA injector timing

scooter01922

Hi guys and gals, i have the above mentioned engine in a 1989 MCI bus that has been converted to a camper. Had a couple issues to fix (thermostats, blown exhaust manifold gasket, general upkeep) and as part of it i'm going through the valve adjustment and injector timing. At least i'm trying to, can't seem to find the spec for setting a 9F80 injector anywhere. Anyone happen to have a detroit bible with that info handy??

Bluox

Hi guys and gals, i have the above mentioned engine in a 1989 MCI bus that has been converted to a camper. Had a couple issues to fix (thermostats, blown exhaust manifold gasket, general upkeep) and as part of it i'm going through the valve adjustment and injector timing. At least i'm trying to, can't seem to find the spec for setting a 9F80 injector anywhere. Anyone happen to have a detroit bible with that info handy??
1.470 std timing California cert.
1.466 std. timing Federal cert.
I suppose either one will work?
good luck
Bob

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Best I could find is this link to the tune up section for a 92 series, note it is a little slow to down load and not sure what year your bus is. but it does show 9F80 injectors in some of the spec's:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup....E SERVICE MANUAL/Sect 14 - Engine Tune-Up.pdf

scooter01922

California....pfft we don't want those specs. I hear its a lot more important to have them the same vs "right" anyway but i want to start by what the book says vs what i find them set at. Thanks for the info

scooter01922

scooter01922

From talking with various people in the bus world its a very late mfg date to be in that bus without the ddec. That said, it seems to be the correct motor for the bus. I'll see if i can figure out where its set at currently before i mess with anything.

Bluox

From talking with various people in the bus world its a very late mfg date to be in that bus without the ddec. That said, it seems to be the correct motor for the bus. I'll see if i can figure out where its set at currently before i mess with anything.
Do you have a serial number?
Bob

scooter01922

Do you have a serial number?
Bob
No idea on the engine serial number, but i'll try to take a look after it stops pouring rain. Its also a little bit of an oddity to have it coupled to a 5 speed standard non synchronized tranny in 89 when most of the coaches had gone auto. Fortunately i run a truck for a living and as long as i drive it like a slower to shift version of an 8ll she shifts nice and smooth.

scooter01922

Number stamped into the side of the block is: 6VF172720 "star symbol" second line is : 8067-7427. I just double checked and the bus did leave the factory with a 6V92TA, set at a whopping 277hp....shes never been fast LOL

Bluox

Number stamped into the side of the block is: 6VF172720 "star symbol" second line is : 8067-7427. I just double checked and the bus did leave the factory with a 6V92TA, set at a whopping 277hp....shes never been fast LOL
That is a 1989 motor. Are the data plates missing?
Bob

Last edited:

scooter01922

That is a 1989 motor. Are the data plates missing?
Bob
Yeah, very very little of the data plate from the valve cover remains unfortunately, can read the injector spec and not much else. The whole thing is obviously kinda oily but not that one spot, dry and flaky

scooter01922

Kinda oily.. lol
THATS WHY we call’s DRIP TROITS.. lol
Yeah i know, great at turning diesel into noise and leaks. Old gal runs pretty well though, fires right off even cold. Damn near no smoke if its anything over 45 degrees out right from start up. If its colder than about that 45 or so she smokes a bit on one cylinder, the one that had the exhaust manifold gasket blown out coincidentally. The colder it is the longer it takes for that hole to join in with the rest, then no smoke. One of the things i'm digging into for maintenance. Pulled the air box cover, the piston and liner look ok. Need to grind off the valve cover bolts they are so seized in there. Will see what i find in there, hopefully just stuff out of adjustment. I grabbed a reman injector to pop in that hole while i'm at it, can't hurt for what it costs.