• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 471 Reverseing

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Did some research. This engine is reversible with nothing more than a gasket kit and starter. You have to swap the cam and balance shaft but not the gears they remain in their position, the idler gear has to be moved. The oil pump can be assembled to work either direction as well. All other acces can be mounted either way. There should be timing marks already on the gear for left or right hand rotation. Go to whaleboat.us , this is where I found the Detroit Manuel that I got this info from. I think this is what you are looking for as it explains how to set the engine up for the desired rotation.

Any better info on where to see this info at that site, I tried searching with no luck.

kshansen

Occupation
Select library on home page then select detroit diesel maintainance manual .

Not to muddy up this topic but are we sure we are going at this the right way? Is the engine as it sets right now in the RC configuration?

Unless I'm way off kilter that would be the correct rotation for a Allison transmission. Looking at the flywheel it would be going counter clockwise so looking at the front of the Allison it would be turning clockwise, just like the crank pulley on the front of the RC configured engine when looking at it from the front.

Refer to Post #9 for picture showing RC Rotation.

Last edited:

SE-Ia Cowman

Sorry guys been busy all week with C7 cat and tile plow final drive haven't spent much time on the Detroit, I did some more looking and I think that Kshansen is correct it is in the R configuration and that is the direction it needs to turn, I called the owner and he said he thought all stationary engines turned the wrong direction then he said the fan blows forward so he thought it was turring the wrong way, He brought me the tranny and I need to adapt the flywheel flexplate and torque converter to mount up. I will get it running this week and connect the tranny then start it and check thet the output shaft turns the correct way but I am 100% sure that it does not need reversed, just a different fan. Thanks for all the input there is a welth of knowledge here.

kshansen

Occupation
I just happened to take a second look at the service manual and had to check back through the posts to see what you had and what you were told needed doing.

Yes some stationary fave fans that push through radiator and some that pull you may even find some with fans that have reversible blades, I know many old Cat machines could come that way. Blow out in hot weather and in the cold reverse them to suck heat back in to keep things warm.

I would believe most stationary engines would be "standard rotation" most common use for the "left hand" engines is in boats where they like to have them in pairs turning opposite so the torque of one engine counteracts the other. Way OT but wonder if they do the same with multi-engine air planes?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Marine contractor I worked for many years ago had a big water pump that was powered by a pair of 6-71s running thru clutches and hard coupled into a common gearbox. They sat side by side on the skid and one turned left and one turned right. I loved to hear them snort under load. One always started hard so we would start the good one and then crank the other one thru the clutches to spin it faster.

john hofer

did one a couple years ago on a grader what i can remember , swap bellancer and cam shaft and bell housing cause starter has to be on opposite side to make engine turn opposite direction .