• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 353

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sounds great. Rebuilt fuel pump is holding full pressure under full load when it is using more fuel. Keep working it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Good looking dog, Hi there Woofy!

To me that is just the right amount of smoke, just a wisp on acceleration and once up to speed clear.

lantraxco

Probably a quarter turn on the buffer screw one way or the other will help with the dying on deceleration issue?

Zed

Been offline for a couple of weeks but glad to hear it is all sorted! I agree with Lantraxco the buffer screw needs a tweak. Easy to do just loosen the locknut and wind the crew out, while giving it short bursts of revs. Hard to explain in writing but I'd disconnect the throttle and from idle, give it a good quick rev, then slam throttle back to idle, when you have buffer wound out, it will hunt like a b*****d, maybe even stop running. Slowly wind the buffer in, all the while giving it the quick rev up and down. When the buffer is set good, the engine revs will not drop below idle speed. If the buffer screw is set too high, it will idle higher rpm.
I remember 6-71 inlines with the variable speed governor were a PITA to set and get right.
Also mentioned in previous posts, but a common saying for the Detroits was "Drive it like you hate it"!

Blueboy

Occupation
Machinist. God bless America ! ! !
Keep working it.
Work it like I stole it!

Good looking dog, Hi there Woofy!
Football any one?

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Probably a quarter turn on the buffer screw one way or the other will help with the dying on deceleration issue?
Buffer screw was definitely the problem.

loosen the locknut and wind the screw out,,,, when you have buffer wound out, it will hunt like a b*****d
Wasn't any lock nut, has plastic inside like a lock nut. The spring was bound up with crud, so I took the screw out and cleaned it up. Seems like there should be a plunger at the end of the spring, but maybe not.

It wouldn't hunt but why should it, I feed it whatever it wants:tong I'm guessing because there is no booster spring, works fine without one.

The idle is set at 600 RPM and the maximum no-load speed is set at 2700 RPM. I can slam it down to idle from full speed and it doesn't die anymore.

It works perfect, praise the Lord!!!
You guys are awesome, THANKS!!!

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_8778.jpg

Zed

Sure does look like an Australian cattle dog! Or blue heeler for the prim and proper...

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Better get that good looking dog some earmuffs now that the Jimmy is screaming like it should. Or teach him to sing a duet with it.LOL

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Sure does look like an Australian cattle dog! Or blue heeler for the prim and proper...

Great dogs. I had one for 18 years, with me every day. Sadly on the 19th of this last December she didn't wake up to go to work. I'm still kinda just...

Blueboy

Occupation
Lantraxco
Thanks! He’s my buddy. Goes with me everywhere. Used to take him to work with me until he went after the UPS man. He wasn’t going to bite him, just wanted to make him poop his pants.

Kshansen
No Patriots fans around here.

Zed
I’m sure you see these dogs all over the place in Australia. Woofy is an out of work Australian cattle dog enjoying the good life! I would like to see him round up some moo moo’s but instead he tries to keep me inline. Likes to bite my hands and feet when I put my socks on. Not to mention biting my feet when walking around in the yard. Very energetic and smart dogs!

Old-iron-habit
Thanks! He doesn’t like the dinosaur roaring, he will go around to the front yard and keep an eye on things but I usually keep him in the house.

RZucker
It sucks loosing a companion, I had to send my last cattle dog (Woody) on before me about 3 1/2 years ago. I adopted Woofy 3 weeks after that.
Go get a puppy.

God bless,
Blueboy

Blueboy

Occupation
After a couple days of medium to hard running I checked the oil and the dip stick read high. 2 quarts over to be exact. It holds 14 quarts.
At the beginning of day 1 it was good, after day 2 is when I checked it.
The 2nd day the engine got a little hot, just above 200. Normally runs at 180. It was a little low on coolant.
Changed the oil and filter and ran the engine with the valve cover off. I didn't see any leaks on the fuel lines but after it got up to temp I checked the torque (144 in-lb) on the nuts. And actually I got about 1/2-3/4 turn on most of them.

I'll put it back together and see what happens.

I appreciate your suggestions.

P.S. This machine never ran so good!

lantraxco

After setting overnight at least, just crack the oil pan plug loose, see if you get any dribble of coolant from the bottom of the pan?

Blueboy

Occupation
I see where your going with this... But actually the coolant was low because I left the bolts out for the air filter mount. It was low 3/4 gallon and the engine is still pushing 190+ when using the loader to move dirt. That was 1/2 hour ago on a 45* day.

I'll check behind the plug just so it eliminates one possible problem.

Thanks, Blueboy

Blueboy

Occupation
I don't want to jump the gun and say I fixed it but after I re-torqued the injector fuel line nuts and about 3 hours of hard running the oil level remains good.
I was going to wait until I ran it some more but with the rain turning my dirt project into a mud bog I'll mention this now.

Thanks Mr. Lanway for your response :)

I'm looking into getting the radiator cleaned out. $80 for a Caustic soda bath...

Blueboy

Occupation
All is good in Dynahoe land!
I cleaned the radiator and hyd oil cooler with some Zep engine degreaser from Lowes. It actually worked pretty good. But my yard looks like the Exxon Valdez sprung a leak. No need for the Caustic soda bath, temp holds at 185*
After about 15 hours of running the oil level seems to be holding ok. It might be a smidge over where I filled it up originally. Just an incentive to make me check it more often.:)

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Yahoo. You are going to need another project to fix now with so much free time on your hands. Of course with a Detroit.

Blueboy

Occupation
After some more run time the oil level was still on the rise.

So one more time the valve cover has to come off:(

I put 80 PSI of air pressure in just the head fuel passage and sure enough air was escaping under the fuel pipe fitting.:mad:
Apparently just running the engine isn't enough to see any fuel leeks.

Below is a pic of the filter cap on the remanufactured injector. If I didn't know better I would say that looks like a scuff from a file. Don't know how I missed that:Banghead

I already put on a new fitting and fuel pipe, then one more $100 oil change and I should be good to go.
A 3rd time doing this might be a pain in the donkey, but it's better than rebuilding the engine.:)

OOPS.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
After some more run time the oil level was still on the rise.

So one more time the valve cover has to come off:(

I put 80 PSI of air pressure in just the head fuel passage and sure enough air was escaping under the fuel pipe fitting.:mad:
Apparently just running the engine isn't enough to see any fuel leeks.

Below is a pic of the filter cap on the remanufactured injector. If I didn't know better I would say that looks like a scuff from a file. Don't know how I missed that:Banghead

I already put on a new fitting and fuel pipe, then one more $100 oil change and I should be good to go.
A 3rd time doing this might be a pain in the donkey, but it's better than rebuilding the engine.:)

Well at least you should have a nice clean Detroit by now!

One test I was always told to do anytime the fuel lines were removed and reinstalled was to put a couple drops of 40 weight oil on the nuts and run the engine for a time. Then look at them. If there is a fuel leak, even small one the fuel will wash of the oil. You did have to look close but would be noticeable!