• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demo Roadtec RP195

andoman

Well they're sending out a RP195 with a eagle 10 screed for us to demo toward the end of next week. Since the company I work for is heavily invested in Caterpillar / Barber-Green equipment this should be interesting. I'll post pics and comments once we put it to work.

Smokinjo

Occupation
Equipment Operator for Open Road Paving
We almost demoed one last year, but CAT took us to the Xpo in Ohio. Plus we already had a AP1000 coming. Anyway we were looking at them hard and would love to try one out.

We have had nothing but problems with the last CAT we bought!

Road Tec claimd u can put ur hands on the pump on the hottest day while running and not burn urself..

Good luck and let me know how it goes.. Id like to have a top end mans prospective..

andoman

A buddy of mine demo one last year and was very impressed but the corporate managers over ruled the guys running the equipment. So based on his recommendation we're going to give them a shot. The only thing that worries us is service, in michigan you really can beat caterpillar's service especially in the paver department.

Smokinjo

Occupation
Our Cat dealer is literally a football field away. But we cant seem to get anybody to give a straight answer on our problems and its like we are getting the run-around. I guess we are the only ones with the same problems on 2machines that r 4 yrs apart.

We love our shuttle buggy and the way its made. With my dad as the head mechanic at our company says there is now reason that we should not try out their paver too. My boss (job foreman) wants to try one to, but u know how it goes its who takes who to diner and who takes who golfing. Maybe I will get my answers this year at CAT school in Michigan..

Louisville

We have a Track195 and have not been too happy with it. We also have a AP1000 and have had much better rideability numbers with the CAT on state jobs.. Parts and service in this area are good for CAT. Parts are a long wait for Roadtec. Will be seeing the 195 go soon to be replaced with another AP1000 or maybe an 8'.

andoman

Our Cat dealer is literally a football field away. But we cant seem to get anybody to give a straight answer on our problems and its like we are getting the run-around. I guess we are the only ones with the same problems on 2machines that r 4 yrs apart.

We love our shuttle buggy and the way its made. With my dad as the head mechanic at our company says there is now reason that we should not try out their paver too. My boss (job foreman) wants to try one to, but u know how it goes its who takes who to diner and who takes who golfing. Maybe I will get my answers this year at CAT school in Michigan..

That seems odd, we bought one of the first 1055-D's that came off the line and had a few computer glitches but they worked them out. What problems are you having? I do have to say that Michigan Cat has one of the smartest paver mechanics I've ever met, so we might get better than normal service than other part of the country.

andoman

We have a Track195 and have not been too happy with it. We also have a AP1000 and have had much better rideability numbers with the CAT on state jobs.. Parts and service in this area are good for CAT. Parts are a long wait for Roadtec. Will be seeing the 195 go soon to be replaced with another AP1000 or maybe an 8'.

How old is the RP195 and what screed are you running? Are you having mechanical problems or do you just like the way the cat runs better? We tend to really pick apart other machines when we demo other brands because we've been running the cat/BG's for so long now, and been fairly happy with them (expect for the 655C that has that annoying fan on the side of the machine, but that's another story). I know when we went to see the new Dynapac paver in ohio last winter the Dynapac guy was about to cry after we picked it apart. It was a nice design but poorly implemented during the machine's construction.

Smokinjo

Occupation
That seems odd, we bought one of the first 1055-D's that came off the line and had a few computer glitches but they worked them out. What problems are you having? I do have to say that Michigan Cat has one of the smartest paver mechanics I've ever met, so we might get better than normal service than other part of the country.

I posted all our problems on the AP100 D which was a misprint I ment to say 1000D. I also forgot to say that we get a lot better ride out of a wedge lock screed and use it behind the blaw knox 3200. We use it for surface cause we can get low ride #'s. As low as 6 to 9 all day long. We banked 78 grand last yr off a 12 mi job for ride money alone. Needless to say we cant make our CAT pave that smooth!

andoman

I posted all our problems on the AP100 D which was a misprint I ment to say 1000D. I also forgot to say that we get a lot better ride out of a wedge lock screed and use it behind the blaw knox 3200. We use it for surface cause we can get low ride #'s. As low as 6 to 9 all day long. We banked 78 grand last yr off a 12 mi job for ride money alone. Needless to say we cant make our CAT pave that smooth!

Which screed where you using, I'm just curious, it seems they do better with the heavier screeds like our extend-a-mat 10-20b, and the newer extend-a-mats are a lot more sensitive / responsive (depending how you look at it) than the older ones that we have on our 1055B. We used to use the wedgelock screeds when we used to run blaw knox. I'm not a fan of the easy screeds.

Smokinjo

Occupation
We use the blaw know wedge lock with 2 50 ft skis. we tried it with the cat and it doesnt work as well. We are using a rear mount for now. To us its what we call idiot proof. Our other tailend guys arent smart enough to starve the material in the middle of a front mount to wing in and bend up the inner part of screed ( we replaces 6 broken bolts this year that hold the cylinder plates on). My tail end man is the best ive ever seen. Im 30 yrs old and ran the tail end for about 3 yrs then i work with him. He impresses me every day. He is very smart.

Louisville

The problems we ran it to were that fuel pumps don't last long and were a pain to get, it has a eagle screed- layed an ok mat. Ours is track and was the worst to run a good straight edge, put me on our Cat 655 and it's perfect with beautiful radius's but that 195 sucks ass, we had to go back on a few jobs cause the joy sticks were so off the edge wasn't good enough.

Louisville

We never could find any parts local, everything came from Chat Tenn- A few days just for simple crap. Wayne Supply right down the street and carries everything.

andoman

Well we gave her a go, and I have to say I was impressed. The tractor was nice, had plenty of power, and the visibility was good. The eagle 10 screed took some getting used to but we liked it, and it laid a nice mat. It's on the list, so now we move onto the volvo 6110.

The Tackman

Occupation
Paving Foreman in Atlanta
Well we gave her a go, and I have to say I was impressed. The tractor was nice, had plenty of power, and the visibility was good. The eagle 10 screed took some getting used to but we liked it, and it laid a nice mat. It's on the list, so now we move onto the volvo 6110.
Are you going to try the Vogele Vision series? We just got the Vision 5203-3 with a wedge lock screed from New Generation Paving Products. They have made big improvements on the WedgeLock.

andoman

Are you going to try the Vogele Vision series? We just got the Vision 5203-3 with a wedge lock screed from New Generation Paving Products. They have made big improvements on the WedgeLock.

Yeah, they're sending one out next week sometime for us to play with. Cadillac, Ajax, and florance all have at least one so we're going to give them a shot too. Just curious how much it costs to ship a paver overseas??

The Tackman

Occupation
Paving Foreman in Atlanta
Yeah, they're sending one out next week sometime for us to play with. Cadillac, Ajax, and florance all have at least one so we're going to give them a shot too. Just curious how much it costs to ship a paver overseas??
I have no idea how much it costs to ship but I would assume Vogele eats most of the cost to compete in the US market.
The coolest feature is the operators counsel. It gives the spread rate among a whole host of other things.

andoman

Well we couldn't beat the deal that Caterpillar offered us after telling them we were going to buy a competitors machine. They basically showed up with a lowboy for the old machine and gave us a one time only offer. So we ended up with a new 1055D with a 10-20b electric screed. It's amazing how much money they can take off a piece of equipment if they want the sale bad enough.