• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demo of a cistern

Greg in KY

My house has a back porch with an obsolete cistern under it- About 25' long x 8' wide x 6' deep -It has filled concrete block walls with poured concrete bottom and top.

I am going to tear off the porch and rebuild the porch a bigger size- Stick frame, vinyl siding w/block foundation to match the rest of the house.

I do not want the cistern. But it is not a problem to leave it unless it causes moisture problems.

I am going to put in drain tile around the house and I prefer not to go as deep as the bottom of this cistern but can if needed. Otherwise I will only need to go about 3' deep.

What do I need to do?
Does it need a hole busted in the bottom of it?
Does it need filled with anything?
Vent each end?
Take the top off?
Does it need to come out entirely?

Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

Greg in KY

Forgot to mention-
The soil around the cistern is mostly clay and does not drain.

Thanks, Greg

D&GExcavating

I don't know, I guess I've only filled in one and it was for a farmer. It was about 15 feet in diameter, and 15 feet deep. He wanted it done as cheap as possible, so I just pumped out all of the remaining water, punched the top in, caved most of the walls in, and filled it in with clay and gravel. I guess I don't know if that's the correct way but that's how I did it for a cheap farmer.

If it isn't causing any problems and isn't an immediate hazard, then you could maybe just leave it.

eric12

My house has a back porch with an obsolete cistern under it- About 25' long x 8' wide x 6' deep -It has filled concrete block walls with poured concrete bottom and top.

I am going to tear off the porch and rebuild the porch a bigger size- Stick frame, vinyl siding w/block foundation to match the rest of the house.

I do not want the cistern. But it is not a problem to leave it unless it causes moisture problems.

I am going to put in drain tile around the house and I prefer not to go as deep as the bottom of this cistern but can if needed. Otherwise I will only need to go about 3' deep.

What do I need to do?
Does it need a hole busted in the bottom of it?
Does it need filled with anything?
Vent each end?
Take the top off?
Does it need to come out entirely?

Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

if i was you id break the bottom up a so water can drain from it then crush the top in and the sides so they do not protrude from the ground then back fill it with stone or gravel so it can drain and will still be stable so you don't have to worry about erosion. or fill it up with flowble fill and don't worry about it.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
What do you have for equipment? I'd pull the top and fill with dirt put the top back on...cover it and leave it alone...

joispoi

Is it less work to run the drains deeper than the cistern and just leave the cistern intact? Bootlegging doesn´t pay what it used to, but you could turn it into a beer and wine cellar.

Greg in KY

Thanks for the replies

I believe I will remove the top, bust a hole in the bottom and fill it with #9 stone.
That way I can put in the drain tile around the house about 3' instead of 6-7'. Will need about 400'
I have a Kobelco Sk60 trackhoe that should handle the job. Cut the top in at least 2 pieces- epoxy some eyebolts and lift it off without tearing anything up- theoretically anyway.

After we got city water (about 10 years ago)I kept using it for the toilet and barn but don't feel like I will ever save enough water to pay for the upkeep of the pump and the electricity to run it.

Since I have a deep Kentucky heritage, I thought about putting a grow room in it- just joking.

I appreciate y'all,
Greg

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
You know Greg- in all seriousness depending on where you are, a safe room for use during a tornado could be handy. Just south of you here in TN and Al, Ga they are all the rage now, given the recent history.... You'd need steps into and ventilation, but it sure sounds like a good start.

Greg in KY

I thought about a storm shelter but the access to it is a problem. I really don't have a good place to put in steps or even a ladder.

crowbar032

I'm in a similar situation. Have a cistern that has set idle (and full) since we hooked into city water around 1993. I've always had intentions of turning it into a storm shelter since I have no basement. I'm just not sure how to do that. There is about 4 ft of space between the footer of the house and the edge of the cistern, so I think I have enough room for steps. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.

Sorry if I'm stealing your thread Greg.

Randy88

I've demolished a lot over the years, if it were me I'd bust it up, remove it completely and do it right otherwise years from now your wanting to do something there and someone left the darn thing in the way, right now on my own house they used the cystern wall on one side for the house wall, so if I'm wanting to add onto the house on that side, I need to start over agian and tear it all out, as to why, I'm wanting to put an attached garage on that end of the house and it'll be in the center of the garage.

As for tiling it out, done that too, cement is porous and will fill to the level of the water table if its not tiled out, unless they used something to line the inside of it, but as old as it is it'll still leak water in and out, also even with tile and filled in it'll hold water, there is less pressure inside the tank than the ground outside the tank and water will fill inside it and around the rock, works like a wick in a lamp to a certain extent. Once you've got the hole knocked in the bottom and the top knocked in, just dig it out completely and backfill with good fill dirt nows the time to do it with equipment, after the addition is on its all done by hand, I know I've had to put new sewer lines in under a house addition one time and someone left the cement fill in there, cussed more on that job than I've done on all jobs I've ever done, ten minutes with backhoe would have saved me a week doing it by hand under an addition or house with a crawl space.

A friend of mine had an old hog building with a pit in it he burned down, long story short, he said he'd never build there with anyhting, we buried the pit and all cement there in the pit and two years later he wanted his new house on the spot we buried the pit, luckily we buried it deep enough he could put a house with a crawl space under it there, just had pillars going down till it hit the cement we buried, worked great, now the mice and rats live it the voids of the cement we buried and have a roof over their heads to keep the rain out of the holes, literally there is mice and rats living under the house in the debris we buried, I tried to tell him not to do it there but to put it elsewhere or dig it all out before building but he saved money by doing it his way, now he can spend the rest of his life trying to figure out how to get and keep critters out from under his new house and lving in the voids in the old hog pit cement we buried, not to mention the rats have eaten into the sewer lines that we buried under the end of the house that go to the septic tank and the rats have the place undermined so badly they get inside the plastic pipes and into his house up through the toilet, not that they don't get in anywhere they want to, but it creeped out his wife, we have never told her just how this all came about yet, she hasn't figured it all out yet and hopefully never will or else he's going to have to sell his property, we just tell her its a fluke and won't happen again, so far she's buying it, but from here on out I'm not crawling under his house ever again for anything, I've been greeted in the eye with too many rats under there for me to ever go back under it again. Any time you bury some cement or debris there are voids in the dirt and debris for critters to live, unless its dug out completely and refilled with good fill you never eliminate this problem, seen it many times and will never again bury anything beside anyone's house, least of all my own, especially septic tanks and lines to septic tanks that are abandoned once a new system is put in place, cistens are the second worst thing to contend with in my book. Just tossing out some experiences I've had, do as you wish.

Tinkerer

That cistern is no different than burying trees on a construction site. Sooner or later they will come back to haunt you so to speak. I have seen it happen more than once. If it were my cistern I would remove it regardless of the expense and inconvenience.