• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Delay on joystick controls for Genie s80

ernstZA

Occupation
Operations and Technical Director at Schoeman Cran
Hi Everybody

I have a new question regarding this S80(2000-model; s/n:2089) we are trying to fix.
When I operate the boom up on the joystick , the boom goes up and stop when I leave the joystick- that is normal.But when I operate the boom down on the joystick the boom goes down but when I leave the joystick it keeps going down for a while before it actually stops.
I also have the same problem on the slew to the left or to the right.
How and where do I need to look if I need to fix it?? Please give me some ideas

Thank you:)

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
The circuit boards for the Up/Down and Turntable Rotate Left/Right are mounted directly below their Dual Output Joystick.
Rotate is the card on the left and Up/Down is the one directly to its right.

There are "Ramp" adjustment Trimmer-Potentiometers (trim pots) on the respective Circuit Boards.
Turn the trim-pots Counter-Clockwise at least 15 times. This will remove all the delay (ramp) that you are experiencing.
When the delay is gone, re-adjust the delay by turning the Ramp trim-pots Clockwise to increase the delay to about 2 seconds drift after letting go of the Joystick.
Turn them one turn at a time until you get the results you want.

Once adjusted, secure the trim-pots with a lacquer base paint such as "white-out", paint pen, fingernail polish, etc.
This will keep them from losing their adjustment due to vibrations, especially if the machine has a Deutz engine.
Do not use "loctite or other thread adhesive/sealers or silicone gasket maker as they can cause damage to the trim-pots.

I can add photos to this thread if needed.

ernstZA

Occupation
Operations and Technical Director at Schoeman Cran
Thank you for your reply. With your help I did manage to get the settings right. I think we did'nt really understand how it(the boom operation) was to suppose to work but all is good now .
And we have a good S80 machine working on its first job today all went well.