• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DEF consumption.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
What governs how much DEF a machine uses? Until last year, I have not really operated many machines that use DEF. Any of the trucks the company has that still have working DEF systems, use about a Jug every couple weeks. The little Mauldin grader I run has a little over 2000 hours on it, and it might have used 4 or 5 jugs. I've been running a 350 Kobelco this week, and it seems to use a jug a day. The guys at the quarry say it has always been that way. It seems to work good, no smoke. I have been bailing over burden at the top of the quarry, and unless nature calls, the only time it idles is in the morning while it warms up, at lunch, and in the evening while I shovel the tracks off. I don't think there is a mechanical issue, just wondering what factors decide what it uses. I was under the impression that it only uses DEF when it does a regen, and it always lights up on the dash when it does

terex herder

I think regen is all diesel fuel. It sprays raw diesel into the dpf (diesel particulate filter) to burn out the carbon. DEF is urea, nitrogen fertilizer. It is sprayed into the exhaust stream to combine with nitrogen oxides to change them to plain nitrogen.

Usage is determined by the software and hardware on the engine as approved by EPA. In my limited experience Deere engines don't burn much DEF, but they have a particulate filter and need to regen. Clearance around the exhaust during regen is critical. Iveco engines burn much more DEF, but don't have a particulate filter, so no diesel guzzling regen.

Truck Shop

On any of company DD15's or ISX's the high DEF usage was narrowed to DEF pump/software/
sensors but never in any certain sequence. Usually taken care of in the first 50,000 miles.
I do know some were corrected by software updates as written on warranty repair orders.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
DEF injection rate is going to depend on engine load and how the engine is designed. An engine with high cylinder pressures, high temperature, high load, and a manufacturer that has decided to use low amounts of EGR is going to use more DEF than the opposites of those things.

But mainly, it is all a black box and "you don't need to know" and "it's for your own good" are the order of the day. Even the mfrs barely understand it.

Truck Shop

It also depends of system operations/programing, three of twelve had issues with back to back
serial numbers, same systems same engines.

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
DEF usage is determined by throttle position and load. Load is looked at by the software as heat. The software also looks at NOx in and NOx out at the catalyst.

IME, trucks use less DEF than an excavator. Hydraulic pumps load the engine more abruptly and at a higher level than a drivetrain. I have seen excavators use up to 16% DEF - diesel and be working correctly.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
there is a second excavator on the job. He is in the quarry pawing through the shot rock, sorting out the oversized. I can see the top of his boom from where I'm working, and he is not working as steady as I am. It is a 350 Linkbelt. He said it is pretty light on the DEF usage. I am working it pretty hard I guess. There is a lot of material to move, and I am alone, well I can see the other crew from where I am, but it takes about 20 min to get to where they are, so I don't bother with break, and I just eat lunch and get back at it By the time it starts getting dark, I've put a full tank of fuel through her. It must be normal, as it seems to have a large DEF tank compared to the Linkbelt.

terex herder

Def tank size depends on manufacturer. Deere finally put a usable size def tank on a scraper special, will do 3 days of fuel. Earlier deere thinking was refill def every fuel, with no consideration as to how much def is a monumental pita in the winter.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
My case sv340 uses it every 2 tanks it seems it needs 2.5 gallons, sometimes 3 tanks. it must run at WOT or it is a dog. MY f450 uses it and the heavier i am loaded the more it uses. But typically about 2000 miles out of 5 gallons.

How do you like the Mauldin?

crewchief888

MY f600 SD service truck get approx 3000 to 3200 miles on a tank of DEF. i'd guess the tank is about 6-7 gallons. i refill when it drops to 1/4 tank and the low DEF light comes on

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My case sv340 uses it every 2 tanks it seems it needs 2.5 gallons, sometimes 3 tanks. it must run at WOT or it is a dog. MY f450 uses it and the heavier i am loaded the more it uses. But typically about 2000 miles out of 5 gallons.

How do you like the Mauldin?
We've had that style of grader. or maintainer for quite a while. They had a Puckett Bros, an Alitec, and this is the 3rd Mauldin. We had 2 413 Mauldins I think they are about 2 years apart. Did a lot of work, and still do a lot of work with them. The newest one a 415, they made a lot of changes, solid front an rear axles, 4 wheel steer, more traction and power but way more electronics. Single joystick for all functions. Any time someone needs to move it, I need to put on a training course...... Joystick, when starting machine is in grader mode. Small button on front of joystick, double click it like a computer mouse to put machine in loader mode. Above button you just double clicked, there is a side to side toggle. Move it all the way left or right and hold it. On the side of the joystick facing you, there are 2 up and down toggles. Use your thumb to move the toggle closed to you up, while still holding the front one to the side. This is me on the phone trying to explain to someone how to lift the ripper. Lots of bugs, couple weeks ago, it would not move with the blade down. it would move with the blade up, but we had to push it on the float. Our mechanics looked at it. Hydraulic guy came for a peek. Dam think worked like a top, and would not act up. Month ago, it wouldn't steer, but it was a valve. before that, the 4 wheel steering would not turn off, and it is not as nice as it would seem. If you are close to a building, and turn away from it, it turns the back end towards the building. If you don't use the steering, after a while it will drift to the side, an she dog tracks. Worst thing is we have no support. The dealer has no idea about it. When we bought it, the tech came to show me stuff, and I ended up showing him stuff. Mauldin itself is great, I have spoke to guys at the factory, and they are more than willing to help. Another company about an hour away bought one, and are having issues. If they had have up graded the drive train, and engine, and kept the old controls, they would be awesome.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
We've had that style of grader. or maintainer for quite a while. They had a Puckett Bros, an Alitec, and this is the 3rd Mauldin. We had 2 413 Mauldins I think they are about 2 years apart. Did a lot of work, and still do a lot of work with them. The newest one a 415, they made a lot of changes, solid front an rear axles, 4 wheel steer, more traction and power but way more electronics. Single joystick for all functions. Any time someone needs to move it, I need to put on a training course...... Joystick, when starting machine is in grader mode. Small button on front of joystick, double click it like a computer mouse to put machine in loader mode. Above button you just double clicked, there is a side to side toggle. Move it all the way left or right and hold it. On the side of the joystick facing you, there are 2 up and down toggles. Use your thumb to move the toggle closed to you up, while still holding the front one to the side. This is me on the phone trying to explain to someone how to lift the ripper. Lots of bugs, couple weeks ago, it would not move with the blade down. it would move with the blade up, but we had to push it on the float. Our mechanics looked at it. Hydraulic guy came for a peek. Dam think worked like a top, and would not act up. Month ago, it wouldn't steer, but it was a valve. before that, the 4 wheel steering would not turn off, and it is not as nice as it would seem. If you are close to a building, and turn away from it, it turns the back end towards the building. If you don't use the steering, after a while it will drift to the side, an she dog tracks. Worst thing is we have no support. The dealer has no idea about it. When we bought it, the tech came to show me stuff, and I ended up showing him stuff. Mauldin itself is great, I have spoke to guys at the factory, and they are more than willing to help. Another company about an hour away bought one, and are having issues. If they had have up graded the drive train, and engine, and kept the old controls, they would be awesome.
I have seen a few of those sale at auctions up north every few years. The prices are high on the used units. I have my Volvo which is not being made anymore. No def on this machine. It is a really good machine. I know at some point something will break, parts are about non-existent. I get called out and hotshot when I am needed.

I looked hard at getting a used Mauldin I think one went for 75k and another went for 90 k. I stopped bidding and let them go. I got my G80 out of Texas. I cut this 140,000 sq ft building to grade last week. The pile of dirt came off after the p61x with machine control set the grade height. They thought they were close on the grade. In some places 2"s high and others 1" low. Soil cement. Gravel in Savannaha is 70 per ton hauled in right now... He pushed off the wind rows as I layed it flat. It is nice to have a Komatsu 40,000 lb dozer cutting where you tell them to.

I have often wondered how the extra pull off the front wheels would work out. You have answered my question.

20231117_161156.jpg20231117_161150.jpg

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I have seen a few of those sale at auctions up north every few years. The prices are high on the used units. I have my Volvo which is not being made anymore. No def on this machine. It is a really good machine. I know at some point something will break, parts are about non-existent. I get called out and hotshot when I am needed.

I looked hard at getting a used Mauldin I think one went for 75k and another went for 90 k. I stopped bidding and let them go. I got my G80 out of Texas. I cut this 140,000 sq ft building to grade last week. The pile of dirt came off after the p61x with machine control set the grade height. They thought they were close on the grade. In some places 2"s high and others 1" low. Soil cement. Gravel in Savannaha is 70 per ton hauled in right now... He pushed off the wind rows as I layed it flat. It is nice to have a Komatsu 40,000 lb dozer cutting where you tell them to.

I have often wondered how the extra pull off the front wheels would work out. You have answered my question.

View attachment 299328View attachment 299329
There are times when I wish I had wheel lean. They are a great little machine. We do paving. I do mostly private driveways with the Mauldin. The New machine is actually 4x4. The older ones have a drive motor at each wheel, but if one wheel breaks traction, all the hydraulic flow goes there. There should be a few of the G80 champions around. Not sure how similar they were to the Volvo. I think Brian Abernathy or Motor Grader I think is his handle on here might be able to get some compact grader stuff. We have a 940 Volvo. Still a good machine