• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DEF and seldom used equipment

LawnDart

I am looking to get a mid size excavator to use on my land. I won't use it all that often, maybe sitting for several months between a flurry of use. Will DEF be stable enough to be ok? What would be the best way to make sure its not a problem?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Depending on the model (weight) you choose, it may not require DEF. I have been looking at Takeuchi tb290, which has Yanmar engine, and only has the particulate filter, no DEF. Someone more knowledgeable than i will chime in, but I don't think you need DEF till like 80hp.

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
I forget the HP breakdowns…but remember the DEF info quite well.

DEF will degrade over time. It has a 6 month shelf life in a sealed container.

If you are going to let a machine sit, my advice would be drain the DEF tank and refill with fresh before putting it back into service. Dumping DEF is a lot cheaper than getting a system working again after using degraded DEF.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I think it is 74 engine horsepower and down does not require DEF. It is the most troublesome system on a lot of new equipment I have seen requiring warranty repair work whether it be pumps, lines, control modules, or anything related.

LawnDart

Yes I think it is 75-6 and above get DEF. I know a Cat 313 can be had with 73hp. Just not many for sale around here at affordable prices. I know getting a DEF machine for my infrequent use is asking for trouble. Just not sure how much trouble it would be. If draining the 5ish gallon tank and refilling with fresh is a good process I could live with that.

Cory151

Under 75 hp no requirement for DEF and under 25hp no DEF or DPF. I chose a Takeuchi TB235-2 specifically for this reason over the Kubota KX040 and TB240. The DPF and EGR specifically is what kills late model diesel pickups so it is my theory that just about every manufactures 4 ton and below 25hp and under machine will be the most reliable setup in the entire lineups.

LawnDart

Ya so if you can find a solid early 2000's machine there will be no emission stuff to worry about I guess.