• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere's Quad dozer a must see!!!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I don't know cool idea, but I don't think it will make it here in the states.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I wonder how successful the patent will be when others already have articulated quad crawlers....I'm pretty sure Case has one as a TLB.
I wonder what the target market is....You would think it would be more vs the wheel loader than the dozer...just like CTL/MTL is to skid???

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Squizzy, I don't know if the Case design has made production yet. Either way, the Case design for the TLB with tracks is not articulating or a front-cab design. The Case QUADTRAK tractor is interesting; I'm guessing the Deere patent is different due in chief to its front-cab and also a dozer blade.

srs_mn

Occupation
retired dirt guy
That's one of the few machines I've ever seen that I would be glad to step back and let somebody else run... I don't like sitting on the front half of machines like that...
I've spent a lot of years on Cat and John Deere articulated loaders - I even ran a Komatsu for awhile - and on all those loaders the operator sat on the rear half of the machine... Well, one time I had to use a highway department Case loader to load my truck with salt-sand mix, and, on that Case, the operator sat on the front half of the machine... it was unnerving to say the least - not only was it harder to get lined up with the truck in the first place, it was almost impossible to side-shift the bucket over a foot or two once you got up to the truck... I also kept jumping almost out of the seat every time I would catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of my own ass-end swinging around behind me - it looked like another machine was trying to get past me... I was glad to get off of that thing. Maybe a guy could get used to it, but I didn't like it. That articulated JD Dozer is probably the same way... it may have a good view of the blade, but I'll bet it's hard to do any grading with everything being articulated like that - everything moves and it probably does it when you don't want it to... I think those four track articulated machines are much better suited for pulling things than pushing them.
It looks expensive, too.
...just my opinion.
srs

Klutz

Occupation
Engineer
I think that was pretty cool.:yup While all new designs don't make it, many of todays concepts were once concidered too radical and spat at by that old guy with the cane (bless him!). I imagine the ride comfort would be better. And I always wondered why grader and trackloader operators had so good view, and dozer operators weren't allowed to see what they were doing until after they done it. They probably bribed someone, I always thought those graders behaved a bit suspicious like they were hiding something.:cool: :wink2
Grader operators will think they sit on the right part of the machine, I guess. The rear end looks kind of graderish to me.
It might not be for everyone but I'd be happy to test it for a day or two.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
srs_mn said:
That's one of the few machines I've ever seen that I would be glad to step back and let somebody else run... I don't like sitting on the front half of machines like that...
I've spent a lot of years on Cat and John Deere articulated loaders - I even ran a Komatsu for awhile - and on all those loaders the operator sat on the rear half of the machine... Well, one time I had to use a highway department Case loader to load my truck with salt-sand mix, and, on that Case, the operator sat on the front half of the machine... it was unnerving to say the least - not only was it harder to get lined up with the truck in the first place, it was almost impossible to side-shift the bucket over a foot or two once you got up to the truck... I also kept jumping almost out of the seat every time I would catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of my own ass-end swinging around behind me - it looked like another machine was trying to get past me... I was glad to get off of that thing. Maybe a guy could get used to it, but I didn't like it. That articulated JD Dozer is probably the same way... it may have a good view of the blade, but I'll bet it's hard to do any grading with everything being articulated like that - everything moves and it probably does it when you don't want it to... I think those four track articulated machines are much better suited for pulling things than pushing them.
It looks expensive, too.
...just my opinion.
srs
Yup,everything he said.
One of the loaders that my employer had was a Case W20 and I ran it for several years,I never did get used to it.That thing would just scare you to death when your peripheral vision would catch the tail end of it wagging around back there,each time certain that you had hit something or someone.
It took an acre to move over the width of the bucket,stockpileing was a joke.Piling snow was so frustrating.I don't know whose idea that was but they never ran a real loader or it would have never got to market.
It wasn't a bad machine otherwise.We had a W14 too,SOS.Hough was another one,what were they thinking???Ron G

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
pretty darn cool looking. dont know what advantage it has over metal tracked other than maybe weight.

Mike J

Maybe its target market will be as a tractor to pull a pan and the blade on the front is just to help if you need to smooth out some ruff stuff first. I think it would work good for that application. I assume that with the tracks you could go through wetter dirt before getting stuck. Right now I don't think JD offers anything but traditional tractors with wheels to pull their pans. I think this thing would be a good addition to their product line.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver

Deas Plant

THAT Deere design

Hi, Folks.
Yep, I'm with summa thothers above who said they didn't want any of it.
'pears to me that JD are slow learners or unwilling to learn from others mistakes.

Hough articulated loaders and dozers came out with the operator sitting on the front and the back end turning. They're no longer around.

Kummagutsa bought their designs and the first Kummagutsa wheel loaders were the same. They've changed and they ARE still around.

Case did the same damn stoopidd thing and they've changed. They're still around.

Hanomag did it too and I haven't seen a new Hanomag in about 25 years.

The thing I liked most about the Kummagutsa GD825 grader that I ran was the fact that you sat on the rear and the front frame turned to articulate.

I won't be rushing out looking for wunna them noo-fangled JD's ter play with. They may be O.K. for pushing a few scrapers, spreading a bit of dirt fill and a bit of clean up work here and there. I would just purely love ter see them against a D7 or D8 in rock. Yeah, I know they weren't designed for that but the 7's and 8's will do all the other things too so why buy wunna the JD's unless 'kid's sandpit' stuff is all you have for it to do? And I don't reckon it would be all that flash in mud either.

And I can't remember ever meeting a contractor yet who didn't want a D4 to do the work of a D8 or D9 sometime.

You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I'm with Mike J on this one... I just don't see that design as supplanting the D6-D8 size class (i.e., spark a revolution).

MVFD

just a feeling but with the rubber tracks they may use it alot for road work. since the rubber tracks wont mess up black top or concrete.

may also end up being used for farming.. It will have its place for sure.. altho I dont think it will take over a certain class of dozer. its just going to have a strong point at which a steel tracked dozer wouldnt... and is the blade an only attachment at this point? maybe it will be a loader....?

Im pretty sure its market will be farming.

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
MVFD said:
just a feeling but with the rubber tracks they may use it alot for road work. since the rubber tracks wont mess up black top or concrete.

may also end up being used for farming.. It will have its place for sure.. altho I dont think it will take over a certain class of dozer. its just going to have a strong point at which a steel tracked dozer wouldnt... and is the blade an only attachment at this point? maybe it will be a loader....?

Im pretty sure its market will be farming.

the road work aspect makes the most sense to me.

MVFD

you would also be susprized at the floatation that those type of tracks provide..

Check out Mattracks, they are ment for trucks, but its the same type of design. and the foot print is very light.

www.mattracks.com

hvy 1ton

It seems to use a lot of the parts from the Bell scraper tractors. Be nice if they would offer the same electronics that are in the Bells. With the excellent view out the back window it really looks designed to pull stuff. Without the weight of the engine on the blade it won't do well on hard stuff. Take the blade off and paint it green and you might have a good Ag tractor. Even though you're that far from the drawbar, the sightlines still look good. Might be a good platform to get front 3pt attachments popularized here in the US.

biggixxerjim

I dont see the advantage over a Dozer...... dozer will have a lot more track coverage and there for a lower gpsi.Maybe that if ur pushin and want to turn, you don't have to take away power from any track on the inside:beatsme

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I don't think its purpose is ag based. It does not appear to me that it is weighted correctly for that. I would guess it may be some type of attachment platform. Maybe dozer blade, Timber Ax type cutting attachment, or a vibratory roller. It looks similar to a machine made by Amman.