• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere/hitachi 35d overheating issue

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
actually it’s an Airman ax40ur-5... but it’s dang near identical to a 35d...
Except for the boom.
Im having an issue with this thing getting too hot.
Usual things I checked: thermostat, cleaned radiator, fan belt tension. none of those have fixed it.

Also seems to be related to the travel motors...gets hot faster if I’m tracking around.
2 speed isn’t working, when I bought it was told there is no 2 speed but it has the switch and the travel motors have an additional line for 2 speed. So it’s stuck in low?
Motors shot and causing overheat?

Landclearer

If the machine has a fan clutch try checking that. Had the the same trouble with a cat 320d. Fan would turn enough to look like it was working then under a load it wouldn’t turn fast enough to cool the machine.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Engine overheat or hydraulic overheat?

Radiator top top tank vs bottom tank temps?

Fan on correctly?

Was the temp at the thermostat housing checked with an infrared gun to confirm you are actually overheating (if engine overheat) and not having a sensor issue?

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I don’t think it has a fan clutch. I’ll check on that tho

And of course I never grabbed my temp gun to do any detailed investigation...good call... I’ll take measurements.
Will be a day or 2 before I can get back to it and run it again.

Delmer

i think there was a yanmar diesel engine in an excavator that had pulley separation issues. Check the fan, pulley, for movement when it's hot.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Thanks Delmer, I’ll look into that.

hey, you didn’t just sell me a motor for my cat skid steer, did you?
(Or maybe there’s more than one Delmer out there)

HATCHEQUIP

Some of the aftermarket travel motors don't have the 2 speed function yours might have been changed . does yours have the plastic fan customer had one and the fan blades were actually worn enough to cause a heating problem

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
It Does have a plastic fan...thanks!
Will look into that as well.