• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere Engine Cross Help

Parts

Replacing engine on a Deere 310J. As long as I swap my accessories/flywheel/adapter I should be OK with a new long block 4045 engine right? Non-turbo to non-turbo. Just want to make sure there isn't a curveball in there.

Diesel Dave

Not sure how far you got with your supplier comparing build code to build code. If it’s a generic long block, the potential surprises I can think that could come up would be with the crankshaft nose ie:Tapered nose with single thread hole VS Flat nose with 4 threaded holes.
Also the steel timing plate for correct injection pump mounting pattern and some have an aux drive mount. You can swap the plate if not correct.
The crank sensor pickup wheel at the front of the crankshaft will not likely be supplied. It’s one time use so it CAN NOT be swapped out.

Diesel Dave

On second thought, I would confirm the timing plate to be supplied is correct.
Swapping the plate involves pulling the camshaft and balance shafts, you don’t want to get involved with that :)

Parts

Thank you Dave! I am going to have to lookup each replacement engine via serial number and compare then.

Last edited:

Parts

One other question: is the dealer the best source to figure out if these 2 engine serial numbers interchange? I can pull them up on the deere app but want to be sure before having customer buy. Is there a website with better information than the Deere Power Assist app?