• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 892 ELC Throttle problems

htexc

Can any of you old timers out there help me with my '96 Deere 892 ELC? I have had this thing for about 8 years now and it has been a good machine most of the time until this problem came up. The problem started out very simple. I would be using it right along maybe loading trucks and a driver would get out to talk to me and I would have to shut it off to hear him. When I would start it up again I would push the p button to rev it up and nothing would change. I started out just shutting the engine off 1 time then as time went on I would have to try shutting the engine off several times and it would work great. It got to the point that I didn't want to shut the engine off after it got warmed up because I might not get it to throttle up at all until it cooled down again. This all took place over a 3 year period or so maybe 200 hours a year.
I have finally started dumping money into it and now the problem has changed somewhat but is not consistent and does not work like it should. I have changed the stepping motor, angle sensor, engine speed sensor, both hydraulic pump pressure sensors, and even the engine pump controller. I recallibrate it every time after changing something and now as I said it is not consistent but it generally goes through all the rpm settings right except it doesn't rev up as much as it should with each mode. The top setting is about half of what it should be. Is this a problem anybody else has had with these machines or is it like most of my problems being very unique? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this site and don't know much about it but was impressed with some of the answers that some of you were giving.

KenAl

Check the throttle cable. The outer sheath sometimes separates at the crimp and the angle sensor sees different values at P and at idle. Used to go out to these machines with a cable and angle sensor as it was common. Remember on that model every time you press P and the throttle linkage hits the stop, it registers that voltage at the angle sensor as P or max throttle. Loose linkage and the cable moving around will cause a problem.

htexc

Check the throttle cable. The outer sheath sometimes separates at the crimp and the angle sensor sees different values at P and at idle. Used to go out to these machines with a cable and angle sensor as it was common. Remember on that model every time you press P and the throttle linkage hits the stop, it registers that voltage at the angle sensor as P or max throttle. Loose linkage and the cable moving around will cause a problem.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention we put a new throttle cable on before we even tried any of the electronics. What I was wondering about though was if the throttle cable could possibly not be adjusted right. I don't see anything in the tech manual about how to install the throttle cable. What seems to be the problem is the machine is not remembering the voltage when it is calibrated. Although sometimes you cant even get it to idle down without shutting it off.

htexc

I also should mention we put the new engine controller on before we changed the stepping motor and angle sensor. The Deere dealer was out and looked at it before we changed the stepping motor and angle sensor but after we changed the EPC and told us he talked to an old timer and said we needed to change the stepping motor and angle sensor then put another new EPC on it. The EPC cost over $2000.00 and I want to know for sure before I do that again. Neither one of the controllers we have look bad inside or even smell burnt.

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
We had a 790e doing the same thing, I went thru the whole electrical system and cleaned everything, what made the difference was cleaning the fuse panel and changing the ign switch. Just a thought.
And the 790 and 892 have the same basic system. we have one of each.

htexc

We had a 790e doing the same thing, I went thru the whole electrical system and cleaned everything, what made the difference was cleaning the fuse panel and changing the ign switch. Just a thought.
And the 790 and 892 have the same basic system. we have one of each.
Thankyou, I will certainly do that. We did go through all the wire connections and cleaned and checked them for bad terminals. I suppose it is something simple now that I spent all that money on new parts.

ray4406

the cable you used was a new john deere cable 99% of the time it is the cable. Check to be sure all the cable holding brackets are tight to the cable and to the machine Un hook the cable at the stepper motor end and try to move the cable it should move with little resistance from low idle stop to high idle stop . If resistance is felt disconnect the throttle end to make sure the cable has no internal sleeve troubles :)

Last edited: