• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

deere 710j vs. cat 450e,wich one do you prefer?

Deere 710j vs.Cat 450e

• Deere 710j

Votes: 41 61.2%
  • Cat 450e

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • other manufacturer

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters

hvy 1ton

I don't see too many guys running straight truck equipment haulers. There is a company in town with tow of them, 4800 4x4's with a pusher axle; they are used for skids, minis and tractors. Makes it easier to get through heavy traffic and the crazy streets we have in town.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
A friend of ours for example has a 710D
4x4 standard hoe with over 12,000 hours and 0 problems.

Ive heard of guys who had 310B's put over 8,000 hard hours of abuse and never even changed a hose.

Going on to the new Total Machine Control option on the J series. A friend just traded for a 310SJ w/TMC, the technology is impressive but it's a totally different world verses a standard control machine. I had a very hard time getting use to it. I spent very little time on it though. It was as if you were in front of your computer with 2 computer joysticks. No feel or feedback.

The machine has 3 work modes, low/medium/fast. Its hard to find the right "spot" to be. I have never seen a backhoe so fast. 1/4 throttle and it will move faster than any backhoe Ive ever seen on the back end.

On this machine you loose the ability to be able feel the valves open and be able to cushin your movements. Standard pilot controls don't have the same feel and response as mechanical controls but still give feedback. TMC to me has it's own brain, you just tell it what to do.

Besides the controls, the machine itself (although much smaller than a 710 or 450,) was a very impressive machine. Deere thought of everything. To sit in a Cat or Case verses a Deere, the Deere is highly advanced. Placement of switches, pedals, service check points, grease fittings. The design of quick couplers. The Deere will take Cat, JRB, and Deere attachments.

The job it was on was all sand, the machine would dig itself a hole. I was told the transmition is the same tranny used in a 444 loader. The loader end was fast also.

I spent less than 2 hours on the machine so I can't truly compare it but these were my first impressions and what I learned from the guy who owns it.

Just my 2 cents.I myself am young and this is the wave of the future. I still prefer mechanical controls any day of the week over pilot controls.

My vote is 100% for a 710 over a 450.

Last edited:

granitefan713

Occupation
Design Technician
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I figured I'd be better than starting a new one. Anyway, here's a shot of a 710J I took back in '07 next to a 410J.

Attachments

• 2398728030101056949QXrzGV_ph.jpg
    2398728030101056949QXrzGV_ph.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,893

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Even a 410G vs. 430EIT. Deere hands down. Cats to clumsy, sluggish, and cant turn for nuthing. Think an older 590SL has it all over a brand new 430 to.

Alaska Sunrise

I haven't seen a Cat 450E yet, but I got a chance to see a 710J up close the other day.:eek::eek:It was HUGE! How much does one of those things weigh?

Aliate

Do you guys think the 710 is too big for street work? Sometimes I find myself fitting my old 580 into tight spots to dig...

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Most of the time yes a 710 is too big for street work. We have almost exclusively 710's for hoe packing they are a beast and rather clumsy. The size comes in very handy quite a lot with us, but at the same time wheeling in and out of small places is a little harder than with your 580.

I backfilled a small sewer vault this summer in a backyard with one of our 710G's and it was an adventure to say the least. Trying to turn that monster around to try and push in, and then whip round to use the hoe pack was not as much fun as you might think. I spent most of the time hoe packing on one stabilizer and my loader in the air over the guys fence.

I'll tell ya though... I spent a few hours in our 710J WOW. They are a beast but the power there is incredible. I like our G's but I don't like them at the same time. The D's are very nice and stable, the G always feels like its ready to rollover and play dead on you. The J seems to be stable more like the D series machine.

Last edited: