• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 333 vs Kubota 97-2

Grease Gun

Looking at a new machine. Down to the Deere 333g or Kubota 97-2. Deere has a little more operating capacity and slightly more hyd flow. Kubota has more room in the cab, 0% financing, and is about $15k less. Any input on the machines?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
You probably won't notice the differences in specs. Which one do you like better?
One big advantage the Kubota has over a lot of brands is the door; you can run the machine with the door up. If you do construction, where you are in and out a lot, and where it is a real pain when you can't get out of the machine until the boom is all the way down, that is a real plus.

I really like the control feel on the Kubota, as they are I think the last manufacturer that still uses hydraulic pilots, rather than electric.

15K less is pretty significant, I would have to be awfully impressed with the Deere to spend that, but then, I am not a Deere guy . . .

Grease Gun

So... yeah, I prefer the roll-up door. I’ve never been a fan of the door on the Deere. In other, older machines, the hydraulics on Deere have always been far superior to Kubota. But the specs look close on these...2 gpm flow difference, but I don’t know if that’s a lot? And I don’t know if Kubota has caught up there.

Also wondering about serviceability. Older Kubota equipment I’ve run has been a pain to work on.

I really like the Kubota. I’ve always been a Cat and Deere guy. Maybe I’m just trying to find a reason to like the Deere. Cost wise, I sure don’t see the value in the higher price for the Deere... not yet anyway. It won’t be an everyday machine, but I will be an every week machine.

Thanks for the input.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
A lot would depend on which dealer is stronger for me. Kubota's DEF issues have been continuous, not just in their machines but Taki which uses the same engine also has had issues. I am not buying that its all in the way they are being run, there clearly are some design issues. On this forum alone, there are pages of issues and the difficulty getting them fixed. If the Kubota dealer isn't one of those roadside dealers but someone that has numerous CTL's out there, with customers that are happy with what they do, that would help. Kubota's HVAC system does not get a lot praise. Pilot controls are nice if you like the pattern and you like the factory preset speed and reaction times. Less things to go wrong with them.

I am not a Deere fan, actually I cant stand running their CTL's and SSL's. I have not run their newest machines, so maybe their EH has improved, but it was terrible. The seating position in the machine causes me to continually hit my arms on the side of the cab and I can't stand the operator position in the cab. Feels like I am in a bathtub. I had never demoed a machine that I was so ready to give back. There are somethings in this comparison that I do like Deere better. Being able to switch patterns from H to ISO is important for me. The Deere bucket breakout is pretty impressive. I personally think the engine is stronger than the Kubota. Having the ability to tailor the machine to the operator with EH I think can be helpful. Of course with that, comes the complexity that goes with that ability.

Some things that are important to ask is if the dealer will keep you in a machine if yours is being repaired, at least through the warranty period. Some of the Kubota's have been down for an extended period of time. Sounds cliche, but in this case especially, the strength of the dealer really matters. If you haven't already done so, I would spend a full 8 hours or whatever the dealers will allow on a demo in each machine. They operate/feel totally different in my opinion. Work them both hard and see which one shines and then decide how the price factors into it, it may not matter if you walk away liking the Kubota.

HeavyTech

Occupation
Heavy equipment technician
Take care of your machine and it will take care of you

Drain your DEF tank every 2 months (summer) and every month during the winter

Kn1ghtWolf

Take care of your machine and it will take care of you

Drain your DEF tank every 2 months (summer) and every month during the winter
Gotta do this on my 333g, thanks for reminding me!

Looking at a new machine. Down to the Deere 333g or Kubota 97-2. Deere has a little more operating capacity and slightly more hyd flow. Kubota has more room in the cab, 0% financing, and is about $15k less. Any input on the machines?
I have the 333g and I personally like it but my purchase decision came down to price and availability. I couldn't find any clean low hour machines with good price tags in my area for Kubota and when I seen this Deere loaded with every feature for thousands less than the Kubota's were running with a fraction of the hours and had my answer. One thing I heard about Deere is it tends to have more push power than the competition. I will also tell you the price on deere parts are no joke, I spent I believe it was $700 on a set of snap rings for my final drives, felt like I got mugged buying it. I still haven't installed them so I can look at the receipt again when I open it up.

hseII

So... yeah, I prefer the roll-up door. I’ve never been a fan of the door on the Deere. In other, older machines, the hydraulics on Deere have always been far superior to Kubota. But the specs look close on these...2 gpm flow difference, but I don’t know if that’s a lot? And I don’t know if Kubota has caught up there.

Also wondering about serviceability. Older Kubota equipment I’ve run has been a pain to work on.

I really like the Kubota. I’ve always been a Cat and Deere guy. Maybe I’m just trying to find a reason to like the Deere. Cost wise, I sure don’t see the value in the higher price for the Deere... not yet anyway. It won’t be an everyday machine, but I will be an every week machine.

Thanks for the input.
The modern larger Kubota CTLs are agreeable to work on.

I prefer them overall compared to Bobcat, Caterpillar, & New Holland.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I would not buy a Kubota due to previous bad experience with leased units. DEF problems galore, super poor air conditioning, hard to work of AC system, and poor design of roll up door. That darn door would not seal worth a darn on several rented units, making the poor A/C system perform even worse. A little dust and dirt in the door rollers would keep the door from latching fully. Unless you have a really good dealer, with loaner machines for warranty work, I would pass on Kubota.

Grease Gun

Thank you all for the input. All good points.

I hate the door on the Deere, but love the hydraulics.

I like the controls and cab on the Kubota. But yeah, you hear DEF problems from everyone.

I have a couple of older machines.. Cat 955 and a Deere 550. I thought Cat was bad on parts pricing until I started buying parts from Deere.

I was talking to a buddy who runs a Cat machine and he said his next would be the Kubota.

I’m thinking Kubota. $15k difference and 0% financing is hard to pass on when you’re on the fence about the machines.

Thanks again for the input.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
On our second bota. Now have the 97-2 love it. 800 hrs so far no issues at all have mulched prob 300 hrs with it. Only def issue was with the 95-2 it was a DEF header in the tank it was replaced under warranty. We had a new door installed on the 97 because we bent the other one. New door is much more robust and seals really good. The ac evaporator will plug up but it’s not super costly to have a good bota dealer service it. Kubota insurance is second to none. Basically will fix anything has been our experience. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat. 0% nothing down and cheaper purchase price. Like anything it’s not true 0% but it’s easy and sounds good lol. Plenty power good hydraulics and doesn’t tend to run hot.