• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 323D blowby

1000hills

I have a 2010 Deere 323D track Skidsteer with the common hard starting issue that also appears to have a lot of blowby. I’m suspecting cracked rings because I’m fairly certain someone used either in the past. (machine showed up with the air filter cover off and the filter element falling out). However it runs fine if you can manage to get it started.

I’ve also read on here that injector washers and slipped cams can cause low compression and blowby. I haven’t done a compression test yet or pulled the head, but how would I diagnose the injector or cam issues?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEG 1000hills;)!

Love Musikfest!:)

Special tooling needed to check if the cam is in time or not. Cam will not cause blowby. Injector washers are fairly common issue with them. Pull the valve cover, disconnect the injector harness from the right rear side of the block and then crank the engine over. If they are leaking, you will see it and hear it. If they are not leaking, then you are in position to do a compression and leak down test (both done through the glow plug holes). Also a bad turbo can cause blowby to increase.

Has an oil sample been done to see if there is fuel in the oil?

1000hills

MG2361

Thanks for the info. I haven't had the oil tested although it doesn't smell like fuel whatever that's worth. I pulled the valve cover and cranked the engine, nothing seemed abnormal. No hissing or oil spattering from around the injectors. You can hear the turbo spool up and there's no exhaust smoke unloaded after the initial spool up.