• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 310G Cable popped off lots of smoke / won't turnover

Probably a good time to post the serial number. I can't help, but the people with that info will often need the serial number to know what you have. If you don't get a response in a couple days, post a new thread with the new problem, you'll get the attention then. Just don't post a new one with this still active every few hours.

Thanks will do. I'm going to do the obvious in the mean time. Fuses / fluid levels etc

Vetech63

I believe your FNR may not be getting power. Could be a fuse but I couldn't tell you which one to check. All FNR neutral circuits I have seen are "pass thru" for the start signal when in neutral and don't require power. If it worked before the other issue, it either burned a fuse or something was knocked lose or disconnected during the other repair would be my guess. All of this is me assuming you have the electric FNR of course.

Vetech63

And completely off the subject...............we are NEVER going to get one of those 65+ page repair threads on ANYTHING Deere with MG around;). So far I haven't got to use any of my stocked popcorn and alcohol that I SPECIFICALLY bought for such thread enjoyment in the evenings when I get home from a hard days work:rolleyes:. Its just NOT FAIR that I cant enjoy someone else's misery like I have sometimes when dealing with equipment repairs:(. I'll see some Deere thread which starts to show promise.......I get all excited.......then "BOOM"........MG shows up and fixes the dam thing in 1 page. THAT guy needs a month off............from the internet. Im gonna bitch to his wife!:D She can get'er done!:p

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I have been in a truck dash before chasing down a rubbing/broken wire before and had that aha moment,found and repaired the problem only to have a new issue where I knocked something loose....check every little thing where you were digging..most newer systems have 40 pounds of crap jammed in a 20 pound bag in a confined space...

Thanks again everyone. I was sitting in bed thinking "why the hell did this happen" and going through everything I had done.
I checked the starter and there was a disconnected cable.

Now the reason I hadn't checked that cable is because it shouldn't start without it connected. So.. I've got a short somewhere that's letting it start when it shouldn't but for some reason that was stopping the transmission. I tested the FNR and the NSS was working fine. I was quite shocked when it moved F/R but obviously pleased haha.

And now it's in it's normal state of "not sure why, but it runs great" and I'm not going to lie I'm ok with that. I'd love to rip it apart and turn the Frankenstein back to stock but not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks again guys!

Tinkerer

Don't feel bad, you aren't the only one that leaves cables off.
I put a new battery in my wife's car and it wouldn't start. I called the dealership and they sent a tow truck to haul it in.
About an hour after they got it I get a phone call to come n pick it up.
I left one of the battery cables unhooked.
Fricken GM vehicles with their stupid battery covers that have about six wires in them.

Vetech63

Don't feel bad, you aren't the only one that leaves cables off.
I put a new battery in my wife's car and it wouldn't start. I called the dealership and they sent a tow truck to haul it in.
About an hour after they got it I get a phone call to come n pick it up.
I left one of the battery cables unhooked.
Fricken GM vehicles with their stupid battery covers that have about six wires in them.
LOL! I did that same thing not 2 months ago. Spent an entire day scratching my head only to find out I was a dumbass.

Haha thanks for making me feel better about this mistake guys.

It doesn't top when we spent an afternoon trying to take a nut off. 6 ft bar, hammers, WD 40, tried using a torch.
The thing wouldn't budge. Long while and a few beers later my friend said "Maybe it's reverse threaded?"

JL Sargent

I guess since the backhoe is fixed we can go crazy.
I put $100 worth of hydraulic seals in a cup of water and into the microwave. Then watched them morph into useless gobs in about 45 seconds. NOW I can tell you that seals absorb microwave energy at a much higher rate than water.......

Tinkerer

I guess since the backhoe is fixed we can go crazy.
I put $100 worth of hydraulic seals in a cup of water and into the microwave. Then watched them morph into useless gobs in about 45 seconds. NOW I can tell you that seals absorb microwave energy at a much higher rate than water.......
LOL !!!
Who would of thought that would happen. Certainly not me.

Vetech63

Thanks for the laugh Vetech !!

Good grief ! :eek:
I cut the head off of bolt that holds the blade on my 12" DeWalt miter saw. Only to find out it has left hand treads.
I used a Sharpie and labeled the saw with an arrow and wrote, left hand thread stupid.
Check this out for a stupid move. I just finished a small engine changeout today, so I start putting engine oil in this engine and it only holds 2 quarts according to the specs. So I get through dumping 2 quarts and there isn't a dam thing on the stick. Another quart.....still nothing on the stick. So I back away from the engine and notice I have fresh oil all over my left shoe, from the high ankle down. Yeah.....my dumbass didn't put the remote drain plug back on the hose. LOL.....been a long week!o_O

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
.my dumbass didn't put the remote drain plug back on the hose

Similar story. I just completed a 1000 hr service on a 20 metric ton excavator. Started it up and Hmmm, why isn't the oil light going out? What is that sound of a water fall I'm hearing? I quickly shut down the engine, then climbed down to an oil lake the size of Lake Superior. This dumbass forgot to install the engine oil filter:eek:.

JL Sargent

I helped a buddy replace his girlfriends front brake pads. While we finished up working, she was in another room apparently looking around on his notebook computer. She finds some semi nude photos in his email inbox from another girl and starts screaming. Things get out of whack real quick and she storms out and jumps in her car to get away. With some real accelerator force backs it right into his new pickup. See, in all the craziness, we hadn't pumped the brakes yet from that brake work. She had no way to stop that car....... Those ended up being some expensive photos for my buddy. :)