• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 310d return to dig bar bending

kb9nvh

Picked up a 94 310d and noticed the return to dig bar at the threads was bent. I heated it and bent it back and all functions seemed to be restored. Later I noticed the bar got bent again. Turns out when the loader is all the way up and rolled back the bar will bend. Looks like it's counting on the bucket automatically rolling forward to level fast enough for the bar not to bind. I verified slow movement work correctly but fast the bucket won't roll forward fast enough for the bar not to bend. Anyone have any experience with this? Is the valve having problems and not moving the bucket fast enough when the bar forces the bucket forward. I don't want to be accidentally dumping material on my hood.

kb9nvh

YoKqJTfL6YxktiFL7

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I had a similar problem on a New Holland. It was caused by a pivot point that was rusted and locked up (2nd pic). Once I took it apart and fixed it, and added a grease zerk, it works as new. In my case, it is to keep the bucket level as you lift it. Yours is prolly similar.20200303_152144.jpg 20200425_094728.jpg

kb9nvh

Thanks for your help.. So... All my pivots are moving smoothly. But what I did notice is the pivot at the cab was hitting its stop before the linkage was forcing very much dump lever action. I think this was limiting how fast the dump could actuate and wasn't giving it time to move before the bar bound up and bent. I've adjusted the down rod to push more dump lever before it im hits the hard stop. I think it's fixed but the only way to know is to risk bending it again..
I had a similar problem on a New Holland. It was caused by a pivot point that was rusted and locked up (2nd pic). Once I took it apart and fixed it, and added a grease zerk, it works as new. In my case, it is to keep the bucket level as you lift it. Yours is prolly similar.View attachment 241240 View attachment 241241

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Just be gentle...perhaps a 2nd set of eyes during the test. Hopefully you are good to go!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If all your linkage back to the control valve works freely, then try adjusting the it so the bucket does not start to self level until hood height. See if that helps.

kb9nvh

So.. I think the problem is that the aggressive lift of the bucket steals pressure from the tilt cylinder and doesn't allow the tilt cylinder to operate and so if it don't dump the bar has to bend..

skyking1

Here's another thing you can try: back in the way back when, we used to have to do that for ourselves so you can try lifting aggressively and rotating the bucket out as it comes up past the hood just a touch. It's not a sexy as the automatic thing but it works.