• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 2510 clutch job

dave 955k

I'm currently doing a clutch job on a John Deere 2510 and I'm having problem with the pressure plate ceiling against the flywheel doesn't want to go low enough for the bolts to pull in but I believe the last half of the 3/4 on it had to pull it in with the bolts I would appreciate any help to clarify that if possible. I think i have to use longer bolts to compress the springs enough to use the factory ones. Also dont know if i have to loosen the adjustable spring bolts before the pressure plate is seated. Thanks for any input,first timer on a tractor clutch.

1466IH

I do not believe that you have to use longer bolts to get started. Never had a 2510 apart myself but many 4010 4020 tractors. Will talk to a guy at work tomorrow who restored a 2510 and will see if he can verify.

1466IH

Talked to Deere guy at shop today and according to him it depends on the year of tractor. The early ones had a 2 stage clutch. The way he explained it to me you push clutch half way to disengage main clutch to trans and all the way down to engage PTO. If it is the earlier version like this then yes it is best to get started with about 1/2" longer bolts. If it is the later version with the single stage the standard bolts will pull it in just fine. The later version had a hydraulic PTO clutch with a short handle on the dash to engage.

dave 955k

Talked to Deere guy at shop today and according to him it depends on the year of tractor. The early ones had a 2 stage clutch. The way he explained it to me you push clutch half way to disengage main clutch to trans and all the way down to engage PTO. If it is the earlier version like this then yes it is best to get started with about 1/2" longer bolts. If it is the later version with the single stage the standard bolts will pull it in just fine. The later version had a hydraulic PTO clutch with a short handle on the dash to engage.

dave 955k

Thanks for your input,it helped greatly. I'm just getting back to it now and am trying to find out the dimensions for the distance from finger height to pressure plate. I can make one but im not sure what the dimension is supposed to be. I have seen the gages but don't want to buy for hopefully a one time repair. I am a machinist so making one shouldn't be a problem. Again ,i really appreciate the input y'all have given me,so rare to talk to someone who nows what they're talking about and not just looking it up on a screen. Thanks fellas