• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 250D no start

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Ok guys a year ago my rock truck with a 6081h engine with common rail fuel system had an issue where it wouldn't engage all axles. The mechanic took it out of truck inspected the transfer case, i I found a bad air line that engages the axles. Now for some reason he took the batteries out of it. Now when he put them back in he hooked them up wrong and it has not started since. I wired batteries in properly pulled check valves in fuel system cleaned them. Then I made sure I was getting good fuel follow to the common rail can pump up the primer and it get hard. Only 2 codes in computer are for fuel delivery pressure data valid but below normal operating range but not severe, and fuel pump pressuring assembly current below normal or open circuit. Now I’ve come to find after testing voltage that when I disconnect my ground I’m getting getting 24.5volts positive through chassis. If Input a multimeter from battery neg with cable off and touch the frame cab box or any metal I’m getting 24.5v+. I’m guessing this is locking put my computer from allowing the fuel system to activate its been sitting for a year and deere has ran up 10k and cant figure it out looking for any subjections thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Need a complete serial number GCC.

If your meter's black lead is on the battery negative post with the negative cable disconnected and you touch the frame (or negative cable) with your red lead you will get 24 V because your meter is completing the circuit.

What specific codes do you have?

Does it crank?

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Its cranks yes, sn BE250dt201062. And yes positive lead on frame rail and negative on disconnected ground of battery it shows 24v positive. I’ve noticed the ecm makes a clicking noise continuously also well just sitting with the key on, when you turn key off it stops clicking, is there any way to test ecm? Codes are spn 94 fmi 17, spn 1348 fmi 1348

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Were those codes under the C01 or C02 menu? Those codes could have occurred after a filter change so I am not concerned unless they become active while cranking. Your FMI is incorrect on the second code. When in the C02 menu press select to enter the clear codes sub menu and at each displayed code press and hold the select button until the word "END" appears. Do that for each code to clear them. Then we'll see if any codes return.

Really what is needed is to connect with Service Advisor to see if the ECU goes into start mode, but I doubt you have that software. Make sure the ECU has power (switched and unswitched) and good grounds. Then the only other way to see if the controller is active is to pick a "3 wire" pressure sensor (like the engine oil pressure sensor) and check to see if there is a 5 V reference voltage. Check it by back-probing the connection, not unplugging the connector. If any sensor does not have a 5 V reference then the ECU may be dead or the 5 V circuit is shorted somewhere. If there is a 5 V reference then further investigation would be required. I would think if your ECU was dead there would be "CAN" communication codes for the ECU.

Last edited:

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
So when i put my laptop on it i can clear all the codes and those are the only to that come back and say active if you unplug sensor it pops up right away and if you plug them back in they go away. My service advisor is being a pain in the ass it wont load on my computer use to work fine been using other software we have for heavy equipment/truck diagnosing

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Also the first thing i did was checked for switched and unswitched power and ground going to ecm

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What is the FMI of the 1348 code? That code might be preventing you from starting. Also, if you have software can you see a reading that states "Fuel Mode"?