• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 244E loader trans

AdamsExcavating

I have a john Deere 244E wheel loader that when machine reaches operating temperature the transmission looses power and starts to slip. Seems to do both in high and low speed. Just curious as to if anyone has had same problem in a similar machine and what it may be and or cost to fix.

dieselerator

Deere 244E

A few operating hours after acquiring mine I had a similar problem.
I found the Hi-Lo transmission oil level was low.

The Hi-Lo transmission sight gauge is located in front of the left rear
wheel just behind the fuel tank. I drained what was left in the Hi-Lo
transmission and installed 10 quarts of Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Gard®.
The fill port is near the engine fuel filter. The Hi-Lo transmission oil
filter should also be changed, but that got mine going.

Thanks,
dieselerator

SE-Ia Cowman

I also have a 244e loader that was given to me this summer it has the same problem, I think it is a charge pump problem, I have service manuals on this machine but they dont cover thy hydro other than removal and instilation, it is a yunkers axial pump, and i have found no info on it. Does anyone know who made these machines for deere?

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I also have a 244e loader that was given to me this summer it has the same problem, I think it is a charge pump problem, I have service manuals on this machine but they dont cover thy hydro other than removal and instilation, it is a yunkers axial pump, and i have found no info on it. Does anyone know who made these machines for deere?
I see this is an old post did you ever figure this out? I don't know if this will help but, I have a JD344E and it was built in Japan by Hitachi.

Charger

Sorry for bumping a 2+ year old post,

we have a John Deere 244e(not sure on the year)

it had similar problems, in forward it will drive in low range, but doesn’t have a lot of pushing power, it will only travel in high range down hill.
In reverse it operates as it should.
Transmission fluid level is good(but does have a leak and needs topped up more then it should)

Last edited:

JIMHOW

I have a deere 244E with a similar issue. it runs and drives in low gear without much trouble for about 15 minutes. Then the trans begins slipping. The trans oil pressure light comes on. I changed the fluid and both of the filters didn't fix anything. high gear only works headed down hill similar to the post above. Serial number is T6244EB-000065. Any insight would be appreciated.