• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 130g alternator fuse

John Sarappa

Hi, have a 130g excavator that isn’t charging,only 1800 hours.The manual says to check a number of fuses which I did except for f60 alternator. This fuse is not in the fusebox behind the seat. I cleaned all connections. The exciter wire has no power going to it under any conditions. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8

Diesel Dave

F60 is a 65 amp fusible link located on the switched side of the battery relay in the battery compartment. With key on it pretty well powers up the entire machine so I doubt it would be blown based on the description of the problem.
In the charging circuit there is alternator excitation resistor R13.
Spec of 1350—1650 ohms. It should be in the cab as part of the wiring harness but I cant help more with the location tho.
@mg2361 may be able to help with location of the resistor.
1708113321286.jpeg

Last edited:

John Sarappa

F60 is a 65 amp fusible link located on the switched side of the battery relay in the battery compartment. With key on it pretty well powers up the entire machine so I doubt it would be blown based on the description of the problem.
In the charging circuit there is alternator excitation resistor R13.
Spec of 1350—1650 ohms. It should be in the cab as part of the wiring harness but I cant help more with the location tho.
@mg2361 may be able to help with location of the resistor.
View attachment 305722
Thanks,he usually responds early in the morning. I hate to take the alternator off without checking that first, the guy who rebuilds them says they are good alternators, but with the low hours he’s surprised. But new stuff breaks every day and the machine is 9 years old.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If you have battery voltage at the B+ terminal of the alternator, then the F60 fuse is good. No excitation at the D+, then I would suspect an issue with the V2 diode or the R13 resistor.

Check your messages.

John Sarappa

Does the R-13 plug into a wire that is zip tied to the wires going to the alternator? How do you check it? Thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Does the R-13 plug into a wire that is zip tied to the wires going to the alternator? How do you check it?
Yes, it should be zip tied close to the alternator. Measure it with an ohmmeter. There should be some resistance (I don't have a spec), but continuity nonetheless. If it is open (0L on the meter), then that is your issue.

Also is the v2 in the battery compartment area or behind the seat?
Behind the seat, under the plastic. When kneeling on the seat looking behind it, the diodes are on your left side (right side of the machine). You will have to use the schematic I sent you to identify the diode by wire colors.

John Sarappa

Looks like it’s not open, this is what the meter says?

Attachments

• IMG_6768.jpeg
    IMG_6768.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6767.jpeg
    IMG_6767.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6768.jpeg
    IMG_6768.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6767.jpeg
    IMG_6767.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
The F17 5 amp fuse was good, correct? If yes,

On to the diode. Use this function on the meter to check a diode. Check with the leads one way, then reverse the leads. A good diode will read 0L one way and 0.500 volts the other way.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 5.53.59 AM.png

John Sarappa

No continuity either way, hopefully it means this part is bad ,correct? If so,any chance you have the part number?