• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

deep sewer installation

yardbird

The job consists of 6000 ft of sewer 30 ft deep. There is 50ft of room each way of the centerline of pipe. The soil consists of wet clay with moisture content in the %20. Compaction has to be 98%. What do you guys guess for an installation price and what is the best way to dry the material. Equipment consists of PC800,PC600,PC400, two 2 yard loaders, 2 sheepfoots, D65 and D41 dozers. Any help would be great.

Furthur

are you benching or shoring all 30 feet? that generates alot of material to dry. can it be spread on one side of the pipe & turned with dozers then put in as backfill a day or so later?
gotta be over $150-$175 a foot but i dont know your wages & equip costs & what you think for production.
if the soils that wet what are you doin for dewatering?
but i have to agree with danhoe, if your asking these questions on a 30' deep sewer job, run away from it, no offense, but it can get real nasty down that deep.

danhoe

I did 4 miles of that, went through limestone, sand, clay and and a lot of water, dug with a pc1000, D8H, 988, D6H and a couple artic trucks and a crew of 8. digger

dayexco

The job consists of 6000 ft of sewer 30 ft deep. There is 50ft of room each way of the centerline of pipe. The soil consists of wet clay with moisture content in the %20. Compaction has to be 98%. What do you guys guess for an installation price and what is the best way to dry the material. Equipment consists of PC800,PC600,PC400, two 2 yard loaders, 2 sheepfoots, D65 and D41 dozers. Any help would be great.

where in so dak is this? you'll tire very quickly of 2 yd loaders trying to keep up with even a 400 sized excavator....actually....if his clay soils are like ours locally....the clay turns to bubblegum at about 17%. it'd be hard to get here at 20% with a sheepsfoot, i would think a vibe plate on an excavator would work better. of course, you know any excavation over 20' deep needs an engineer's stamp on how you're going to handle your benching/shoring plan, right? good luck!:drinkup:drinkup

Last edited:

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
When I use to work in Edmonton, only the most skilled of crews would work on a job like that and be successful. The deep sewer jobs I was on were all sloped out quite wide and the soil was always wet that deep so the dozers spread the fill out and an old four wheel drive farm tractor with a heavy duty disc would aerate the soil to bring down the moisture content and it would be backfilled in one foot lifts, at the time they were using Bomag K-300 pad foot compactors since they relied on they're static weight to compact which was around 13 tons. Where as the single drum vibratory compactors would vibrate it into mush. Plus most outfits were using 963 or 973 track loaders to push the backfill around. But if you have never done a job like this before or even been on a crew doing deep trenching work I highly advise steering away from it.

yardbird

I am proud to say that WE do have experience in this wet, deep cut sewer work, but i am always open to what other people have to say. Its interesting to see how the market is in other areas of the country. The typical idea was to subcut down 8 to 10ft , stack 2 trenchboxs, and slope the rest. The completion date doesnt leave us with enough time to completely dry out the material, so we will have to mix a granular material in order to backfill productively. Anyway, thanks again everyone.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
When I use to work in Edmonton, only the most skilled of crews would work on a job like that and be successful. The deep sewer jobs I was on were all sloped out quite wide and the soil was always wet that deep so the dozers spread the fill out and an old four wheel drive farm tractor with a heavy duty disc would aerate the soil to bring down the moisture content and it would be backfilled in one foot lifts, at the time they were using Bomag K-300 pad foot compactors since they relied on they're static weight to compact which was around 13 tons. Where as the single drum vibratory compactors would vibrate it into mush. Plus most outfits were using 963 or 973 track loaders to push the backfill around. But if you have never done a job like this before or even been on a crew doing deep trenching work I highly advise steering away from it.

Hmmmmm I wonder who you worked for....lol

So you wanna run deep sewer? 800 with the next biggest hoe you have pullin away from it. A dozer to crash the pile and a disk because its gonna be wet. Toss your 400 or whatever in the hole to sand and crane in pipe. At the same time he can place in the 1st lift over pipe. If you have deep ditch dozers will work but come time to work around manholes and they'll start suckin pretty fast.

douglasco

I always like to tell people about the septic system they put in at our house. We live on porous soil(fractured granite) on a mountain side. Instead of lines, they just dug a wide deep well and it all dumps in there. It works great, after dealing with septic systems over the years, i don't think i will move any place this can't be done.