• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deciding on a career field

cth008

Occupation
Full-time student and part-time construction inter
Hello everyone. I am a junior civil engineering student and I am having trouble deciding what internship to do this summer. I worked at the state DOT 2 summers ago and I worked for a dirt contractor last summer. I have internship offers from the same dirt contractor I worked with last summer, a bridge contractor, and a paving contractor. I really enjoyed working for the dirt contractor, but there are so many other things I want to experience. I know it's impossible, but I really want to know everything about dirt, concrete, asphalt, and bridges. Should I stick with what I know and enjoy or should I broaden my horizons? Is it better to know a little about everything or know a lot about one thing? Thank you.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What path do you want to pursue in your career? Working for a large company, working for the DOT or one day owning your own company?

If you want to work for a large company then being specialized can be a benefit. If you want to work for the DOT then you need to learn their means and methods. If you want to one day own your own company then you need to know a little about everything involved in civil construction.

cth008

Occupation
I do not know what specific path I want to follow. I want to start my own company, but I do not know what I want to do specifically. I have a lot to learn before I start a company and I do not know the best path for me to take to get from where I am to where I want to be.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm a civil engineer working for a civil engineering firm. I also have my EIT working towards my PE. So take this for what its worth.

Being a civil engineer without your PE means almost nothing. Get as many different experiences as you possibly can. School is not the final determining factor in what you do or can do. Also, they are behind. Your degree will get you in the door and thats about the end of it. You are pretty much going to throw out the window most of your classes and start from scratch. Yes statics and fluid dynamics don't change but you won't ever use calculus again or differential equations. I would try and take as many different design classes as possible unless you know you want to do structural, geo-tech, etc.

I would recommend getting some experience with the bridge guys. Paving has some different issues but most of that stuff is spec'd by the designing engineer and the contractor just delivers the product and places it. If the paving guys also do some heavy highway construction that would be a big plus.

cth008

Occupation
I am going to take the FE exam in the summer, but there is a good chance I will not get my PE. I do not want to do design work. Construction is what I am going to do. Project management, estimating, and field work is what I want to do. I am really involved in the American Society of Civil Engineers and through it I have spoken to a large number of engineers. They all say basically what you stated.

Clguest

I am a retired PE (BSME) and can tell you from experience, do plan to get your PE after the EIT. It is easy enough to do in the early years after school. Take the 16 week refresher exam course prior to the PE exam. It is a great refresher. The PE credential will open doors to job opportunities in your fields of interest, Proj Mgt, etc., and in other fields too. Having a PE is not just for design work. If you don't get it you will be leaving some very good money on the table.

redneckracin is right in saying "Get as many different experiences as you possibly can. School is not the final determining factor in what you do or can do. "

Look for an internship that will broaden your experience and that looks to have people around you that you can learn from. Do not take an internship where no one has time or interest to help you learn as you work.

Vetech63

You can do what I did and work for all of them at some point. I would get a job with a company, and once I learned most everything there and got bored, I would get another job. I ended up with a lot of experience in many things that led to my own business when I was 28 years old. Running my own business has been the only thing I have stuck with more than 3 years ever in my life and im in my 27th year.