• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

decel ?

deerefan

Occupation
operator
So yesterday I dint have any thing goin on, a buddy of mine runs forwarder and processor part time in the woods if work is slow. So he tells me he needs a guy to come in and shape up some woods roads I say sounds good I got nothin goin on. I get to the job we drive the road etc. Guys gotts 750j with like five hours on it, im like cool brand new dozer for me. So I start dozin shaping up the roads, about a hour in the owner of the company shows up and watches me for a couple minutes, then comes up to me and just starts bit#$en then im tearin up his dozer cuz im not decel'in everytime I hit forward or reverse.. now I was taught in a hy. Stat. Dozer u don't have to, only in like a cat were the tranny is actually shifting... so now im wonderin was I tauught the wey wrong wey or what..

hvy 1ton

I was confused about the decel pedal when i ran the 850K sim in Vegas. I couldn't tell if deceling the engine or the tracks. I gave up after a minute and stopped using it. The simulator didn't dock me for not using it...

grandpa

Doesn't make much difference what's the right way or wrong way if in fact there is. He own's it so it's his way. In my opinion, i'd want mine decelerated too.

Dane Myran

It says in Caterpillar operation manual that they recommend accelerating everytime for longevity of components. So I would have to say yes you should. Also I believe from my experience that you have way more control over your machine when starting and stopping if you decel. Just my 2 cents!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
If the pedal is there I use it changing speeds and direction.Ron G

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I know nothing about a 750J so I can't say what is proper. But I was just thinking, doesn't it depend on what type of hydrostat control it has? For example, Cat 963, full control of the drive pump outputs via drive control lever, no "shifting" as it were. For that machine to work proper, needs to be run at full throttle and there is no de-cell pedal. Which makes me have a second thought, a machine that new should have the operators manual in the cab. Check the manual and see what it recommends for operating drives. :)

deerefan

Occupation
operator
Spoke to a good friend at nortrax, he tells me all deeres newer then the 'c' model have a built in cushion in the vavle that designates the direction, he says the decel pedal is purely for control in tight areas or whenver else you would need it, and for starting and stoping. Although he couldn't tell me ne thing about a komat'su or any other hy stat machine, but I guess it depends solely on preference

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hmm this topic gets me to thinking, that can sometimes be a dangerous thing..:tong

A hystat loader, like Willie mentioned the 963, does not have a decel pedal. A D5G does have a decel pedal and I use it when changing directions, just seems to be easier on the machine and I have more control.

The difference between the two machines that I see are this - The "V" control of the loader allows you a range of speeds. The joystick on the D5 is either front or back, lacking the range that the loader has of ground speeds.

You don't want to slam the F at full speed all the way around to R on a loader because it's not only rough on you but also the machine and more importantly you loose the finesse the machine has to offer.

Two different machines and I think two different operating procedures. I'll continue to use the decel pedal on the 5, just more comfortable for me.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Two different machines and I think two different operating procedures. I'll continue to use the decel pedal on the 5, just more comfortable for me.

Absolutely agreed. As I stated, I know nothing about the machine. I only brought up the 963 as an operation example, not to imply the 750J shared similarities. Likewise, would it not be premature, at the least, and possibly factually incorrect for any of us who don't know the proper operation of the 750J to say one should use or does not need to use the de-cell pedal? Deere very well may have designed the machine to operate at full throttle and still make fwd/rev direction changes, one less thing for the operator to have to do, thereby making him more productive, I have no idea myself. My question is, wouldn't the operators manual describe the proper operation of the machine?

deerefan

Occupation
operator
Absolutely agreed. As I stated, I know nothing about the machine. I only brought up the 963 as an operation example, not to imply the 750J shared similarities. Likewise, would it not be premature, at the least, and possibly factually incorrect for any of us who don't know the proper operation of the 750J to say one should use or does not need to use the de-cell pedal? Deere very well may have designed the machine to operate at full throttle and still make fwd/rev direction changes, one less thing for the operator to have to do, thereby making him more productive, I have no idea myself. My question is, wouldn't the operators manual describe the proper operation of the machine?

Hmm idk I will have to check tmmrw, like I said I don't work for the gentlemen who owns the 750 although were I do wrk we have all deere dozers.. I just asked the ? Cuz it kinda scared me that maybe we were the only company doin it uno. I guess my thinking is that just like in a hoe the engine runs steady and fluid changes direction in the vavle very rapidly.. to my knowledge (im probably wrong) but in a hy-stat dozer the engine is just turning a pump, correct? The wey I figure the machine would jerk very fast from foward to reverse if there wasn't some kind of cushion type system built in.. just my 2cents :)

hvy 1ton

Yellow Deere mechanic told that the J-series and newer dozers have an adjustable FNR modulation to fit the operator preferences. Also, the decel pedal can be set to either decel engine and tracks like a gear dozer or decel the tracks and keep the engine up. One could set it with a tight FNR modulation and tracks-only decel and it would be getting close to running a track loader. The decel would sub for the v control.

mestizo

I don't think you need to decel the hystat Deeres when you switch from forward to reverse. Either way, when you switch the direction, it'll slow down to neutral and then start in the other direction and its like a CVT, so no shifting, just a pump going from positive angle to negative angle.

For the decel pedal, I think it can control the speed of the hystat only or the hystat and the engine rpms together, just personal preference. How do you run em?

mitch504

Just for general interest: The operator's manual for my 1978 D4e powershift (big D4) states that it is not neccessary to use the decel pedal for F-R shifts, nor is it neccessary to go to neutral, or stop the tracks. It is recommended, however, for operator comfort. The manual states that the machine will not change direction fast enough to damage itself, but it will change direction faster than is comfortable for most operators.

As far as your situation goes, my thought is: it's his machine, and he's paying you, so try to remember to use it. If the manual says it's not neccessary, I might show him that, but, I'd tell him I'd try to do it his way.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Any operator that has spent much time on the John Deere dozers can testify that John Deere has been on top of this for a long time based on how slow they are to change directions.It is frustrating when you are busy and trying to get things done to have to wait for the machine to respond.It really doesn't seem to make any difference whether you deaccelerate or not but I do as a matter of consideration for the dozer.Ron G

deerefan

Occupation
operator
I don't think you need to decel the hystat Deeres when you switch from forward to reverse. Either way, when you switch the direction, it'll slow down to neutral and then start in the other direction and its like a CVT, so no shifting, just a pump going from positive angle to negative angle.

For the decel pedal, I think it can control the speed of the hystat only or the hystat and the engine rpms together, just personal preference. How do you run em?

Hmm we run ours were it decels engine and tracks, I dint no u could change it, we tried out a 6k that was like that were it only deceld the tracks I dint like it at all althought I only use the pedel in tight spots or starten and stopin, that's just how I learned to doze, so its weird for me to hit the pedal everytime I shift

Aussie Leroy

deerefan; I don't think it matters decel or not on hydstat, personly if decel is there i use it, in 963's they need full power all the time because they have a loader on front that is lifting/dumping while manouvering around aproaching trucks etc, But as grampa said it his machine do what he wants (my old boss said it's the golden rule i have the gold i rule)

CAT D7 man

I totally agree with grampa and Aussie Leroy. They foot the bill, you run like they want. Personally, if the machine has a decel, I use it. It taint there to scrape the mud off your boots.