• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Death Spring Removal

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Backing the retaining nut off sure was a job, took everything I had to get that sucker to turn!
Question: Did you put anti-seize on the threaded rod and the face of the retainer nut before you rebuilt the assembly..?

A bit late now, but if you had pumped the tracks up tight then put an old track pin or towing pin in the sprocket and moved the machine a little in reverse it would have compressed the recoil spring and allowed you to get the retaining nut backed off much more easily.

AllDodge

Backing the retaining nut off sure was a job, took everything I had to get that sucker to turn!

A bit late now, but if you had pumped the tracks up tight then put an old track pin or towing pin in the sprocket and moved the machine a little in reverse it would have compressed the recoil spring and allowed you to get the retaining nut backed off much more easily.

What Nige said about putting tracks on first

RustedHeroes

Question: Did you put anti-seize on the threaded rod and the face of the retainer nut before you rebuilt the assembly..?

That's a good tip to remember for next time! I imagine sometime in the near future I will be doing this same operation to the other side... Can't wait :(

RustedHeroes

Looks like a nice clean job! Have to rebuild the adjuster too? As DM says, always easy on the nerves when they are back in place! How did you compress the spring?
Yes! All new seals in the adjuster, figured I might as well when I was in there... The good folks over at Dan-Mar tractor (Nisku, AB) were brave enough to put it together, great service and fair prices.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
When I worked for the local Case dealer I replace several idler yokes on excavators using a fixture I made and a press to compress recoil spring. I cut old nut off with torch and replace center pin (which was part of yoke) and installed new nut. Needless to say I was pretty nervous all the while I was doing it.