• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dealing with round 4 slot bearing nuts - SKF KM13 nuts

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I looked up the correct tool for SKF's KM13 nuts so that I can properly change out my main rotor bearings on an FAE head. New bearings need proper preload and the proper tool for these was not in my inventory. A general spanner wrench can not get into the housing. Only a socket style tool with a deep throat will work. I did not have time and I did not want to spend the money on a new tool for 2 bearings that should last me until I retire out. Time to build another custom tool. This is why I save my old busted cheap Chinese sockets - they get repurposed rather than going into the scrap heap.

IMG_20221031_151928.jpg

I already had 2 new nuts and locking washers to replace the old, gouged washers from previous chisel hits. I can make a good tool with one the better of the two old nuts. I looked up the dimensions of the nuts and the slots are 7mm - perfect for a piece of 7x7 key stock at $7 for a 12 inch piece at my local bearing house. I need the tool to have at least 4" throat depth.

Step one: Overbore the nut to remove the threads. Set final dimension to match shouldered piece of pipe for a press fit assembly.
IMG_20221031_154014.jpg

Step 2: Cut 4 pieces of keystock just a little over twice the thickness of the nuts. Assemble a new nut with keystock against the old nut. Be sure the tapered edge faces in on the old nut and out on the new nut. Hold the assembly of nuts and keystock pieces together tightly with a properly sized hose clamp. Weld up the assembly at the pipe to old nut and old nut to keystock. I found the nuts are near impossible to weld with the MIG or 7018 rods - too much cratering and spatter - so I had to TIG weld with stainless rod and that was still difficult. Final product should look like this:

IMG_20221101_094925.jpg

Step 3: Carefully grind down the keystock fingers to match the beveled edge of the new nut. Find an old, broken 3/4 drive socket and weld that in the center of the pipe for your tool drive. A nut would be another option for a drive part. Finished assembly should now look like this with a new nut still in the grip of the wrench.
IMG_20221101_095338.jpg

treemuncher

Occupation
Final tool looks like this:
IMG_20221101_211557.jpg IMG_20221101_211607.jpg

It's not fancy and my TIG is really rusty but the tool works great. Not a bit of flex even with the 3/4 breaker bar on it

Hopefully these ideas can help someone else in days to come.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yea, we made spanners like that many times over the years at the quarry!

One I recall using many times was the one to remove the spanner nut that held the bearing on the input shaft of the Mack Quadrplex transmissions. Lock trans in two gears at once and use 3/4 inch air wrench and it was off in seconds.

Also made a few by cutting them out of a plate of steel with a tab on one side to slip a pipe over for a handle.

Problem is now days the safety police would wet themselves if they caught someone using one of those! One more reason I'm glad I retired back in 2015 and it was bad like that the last few years! I made sure any of the "custom made" tools were hidden when certain people were known to be around!

treemuncher

Occupation
Problem is now days the safety police would wet themselves if they caught someone using one of those! One more reason I'm glad I retired back in 2015 and it was bad like that the last few years! I made sure any of the "custom made" tools were hidden when certain people were known to be around!

Just another of many reasons why I have worked alone for the past 25+ years. I love my freedom and hate excessive paperwork. I don't need someone else telling me how to get my work done, either. ;)