• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dead dropping a dozer blade

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
have you ever worked with some one who drops the dozer blade as fast and hard as they can everytime they drop it? drives me crazy

da'yoop

This isn't the same thing but close. There's a church behind my house and in the winter the snow gets plowed at about 3 or 4 a.m. Well whoever the guy is in the front end loader, after he backs up for another run he drops his bucket to the pavement and just about shakes the ground. If he would just lower it to the ground he would make a whole lot of friends instead of )**^(ing off the neighbors.

alco

We have a couple dozers at work that drop the blade no matter how gently you try to set I down. One of them was my clean up machine one day, and I was giving the operator a hard time about being a rookie (he's in his early 50s, and has been running dozer pretty much all his life). He got a bit cheesed at me and said it was the dozer........so I brought him an ice cream when I came back from my break and he was happy....lol. But seriously, it may not Bethesda operator, it may be the dozer in some cases.

alco

Yeah, there are issues with the valves, but they opt not to fix them. The company that's running this place, is running everything into the ground. Hopefully they get the boot soon.

ben46a

Yeah, there are issues with the valves, but they opt not to fix them. The company that's running this place, is running everything into the ground. Hopefully they get the boot soon.

If the blade lever cals on the T series machines aren't done right it can also cause this. I had to set a few up at albian.

alco

These are all Rs Ben. They also recently came back from Red Deer after being rebuilt.......not much good to say about Finning quality right now, to be honest.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . ben46a or alco. Fellers I am old and thick skinned enough not to be embarrassed by my ignorance. Could you please explain this from ben46a's #7 post. LOL

If the blade lever cals on the T series machines aren't done right it can also cause this.

Cheers.

390eric

Scrub Puller I am thinking Cals would mean calibration probably the hydraulic flow rate or something like that. Sure in the newer T s that can all be changed by the computer system. I am just guessing here cause I know our new deere dozers can be done that way.

alco

Scrub, the blade control on the T series dozers is electric control, so the calibration for the joystick positioning can be set wrong, and trick he machine into thinking it's doing something other than it is......like lowering the blade slowly....lol.

tctractors

I must admit to being a right fussy brained peace of work, with a pet hate of blade droppers, instant engine shut downs, the lights left on for nowt, plus near empty fuel tanks, I would sack any driver instantly for any of these annoying to me moments, as nothing they ever do is going to make me smile other than seeing them get out of the seat,there is fair reason behind my line of thought, blade droppers= damage, instant engine shut downs = cracked heads, lights left on = needing jump starts, low fuel = cracked heads or un-needed time wasted, these sort of pilots need to be driving for someone else that needs people from the neck down.

tctractors

buckfever, I have been reading this thread with my innards churning, on sites sometimes it would seem I am "Billy No Mates" as any of the above get me right Waspy, I hope you are not as sad as me???? but its all down to the way you are taught the trade from way back.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
tctractors you hit the nail on the head, those are the people im talking about, too lazy or dumb i dont know, how a signal in your brain would tell you that free falling a dozer blade, loader bucket or anything for that matter is a good practice is beyond me. last night night i drove my scraper into a dozer pit to tell the guy some information i couldnt say over the radio, the boss was letting us off early, pulled up the guy saw me tracked down to where i was, let the dozer down and shut the engine off, earlier that day it was 97 degrees out, the sun had just went down, but standing on the tracks talking to him i could feel the engine was just hotter than hell, making all those snapping and crackling sounds, he sat and talked with me with the lights on to boot:pointhead, if i was the boss or owned that 10r i would have fired him on the spot

Plant Fitter

Yair . . . 390eric and alco. Thanks fellers. Takes awhile to get my old head around this electronic stuff . . . I suppose in some ways it is simpler than rods and linkage?

Cheers

Scrub Puller - Nothing is simpler than rods and linkages.

If the blade wont lift on an old dozer, its probably because a pin fell out of the linkage. You can feel that the lever is moving too easily so you get someone to have a look at the linkages while you move the lever, and its easy to find where the problem is. Then you find a pin, a bolt, a piece of wire or anything to get you going, put it in place and you are back working again.

If the blade wont lift on a new dozer, it could be loose wires, broken wires, mis-calibrated joysticks, short circuits, open circuits, you have no idea where to start, so you call the factory trained technician, and a couple of days and a few thousand dollars later you are back working again. Thats what they call progress.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I hear you big time. I always think of the wiring diagrams for the Cat loaders we had when I started working on them. One small sheet in the back of parts book. May be 4X8 inches. Now the new ones would cover a 4X8 sheet of plywood and you still need a magnifying glass to read them. And it's still the same stone coming out of the same hole in the ground that was there 40+ years ago!

Scrub Puller - Nothing is simpler than rods and linkages.

If the blade wont lift on an old dozer, its probably because a pin fell out of the linkage. You can feel that the lever is moving too easily so you get someone to have a look at the linkages while you move the lever, and its easy to find where the problem is. Then you find a pin, a bolt, a piece of wire or anything to get you going, put it in place and you are back working again.

If the blade wont lift on a new dozer, it could be loose wires, broken wires, mis-calibrated joysticks, short circuits, open circuits, you have no idea where to start, so you call the factory trained technician, and a couple of days and a few thousand dollars later you are back working again. Thats what they call progress.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . LOL. I wondered if I'd get any reaction to that question mark on the end of my #15 post!

I just don't understand why the industry has gone down this track of added complexity. I have a friend with John Deere Ag. tractor that has had a fault in the bucket lift since new. . . if you put the bucket on the ground it sometimes won't lift in the mornings . . . until it feels like it. A bit inconvenient when your loading an air seeder for planting.

Ring dealer, "technician" finally arrives and by that time it's working and everything checks out fine . . . untill next time. He finally got so frustrated that he demanded the whole system be changed and was even prepared to wear the cost.

Deere met him half way but it still cost close to two grand and this is just the bucket lift on a little hundred horse Ag machine.

This has to be wooly headed thinking, no body asked for this B/S.

Cheers.