• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9R score

Shimmy1

They thought it had a bad tranny. I went and looked at it .Bolt fell out of the brake pedal linkage and locked the brakes on.
Still sounds a little too good. You'd think something as simple as a linkage problem wouldn't send a machine to the salvage yard....

I'm not trying to pour cold water on you here, lol. We stole a 7G last summer, but a 7H at the same sale brought more than your 9R. Was the machine represented as "non-functioning" for the sale? If so, you might have hit a home run.

Grantc

Still sounds a little too good. You'd think something as simple as a linkage problem wouldn't send a machine to the salvage yard....
I pulled the cat service records before the auction . Said it had a bad final or trans . Machine stopped in road, over the rail line they pulled the axles out and pulled it to where it sat for almost three years.

They had no info in the au tionc just like 40 pics .didn't say wether it ran or not. Took an educated gamble, and won big.

I have pushed with it for a out an hour. Literally everything works, all lights, account, wipers has valve and controls for ripper also . Engine doesn't even smoke at all even from a cold start.

Grantc

I'm not trying to pour cold water on you here, lol. We stole a 7G last summer, but a 7H at the same sale brought more than your 9R. Was the machine represented as "non-functioning" for the sale? If so, you might have hit a home run.

Ya I about crapped my pants when I found the likage missing a bolt .it has a spring in the cable on the trans end, so if the pedal isnt connected to pull it back. It fails on.

Welder Dave

I'd say you got a great deal if the other bidders and/or the sellers never noticed the missing bolt! I wonder what kind of service people the owners of the machine had... technicians??? Couldn't find a code for a bolt that fell out!

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
That’s a good deal, even As a core price it’s a good deal. That undercarriage is worth that alone.

Grantc

I'd say you got a great deal if the other bidders and/or the sellers never noticed the missing bolt! I wonder what kind of service people the owners of the machine had... technicians??? Couldn't find a code for a bolt that fell out!

It is at a really secure facility that is on a island .they didn't allow preview. And a cat mechanic is who told them it was the tranny.

Welder Dave

Exactly, a technician that only knows how to hook up a lap top and read codes. When did you find the missing bolt, before you bid or after? Did you tell the sellers or just fix it and drive it on the trailer? They should be having a serious talk with their Cat Dealer/wanna be mechanic. That bolt potentially cost them half the price of the machine or more. The loaders going for so cheap is another reason to allow previews. People think no preview means there's something majorly wrong with the machines.

Grantc

Exactly, a technician that only knows how to hook up a lap top and read codes. When did you find the missing bolt, before you bid or after? Did you tell the sellers or just fix it and drive it on the trailer? They should be having a serious talk with their Cat Dealer/wanna be mechanic. That bolt potentially cost them half the price of the machine or more. The loaders going for so cheap is another reason to allow previews. People think no preview means there's something majorly wrong with the machines.

I found the bolt missing after I bought it. It was online auction . I think they thought I was gonna cut it up and haul it out. Instead,5 hours of putting the shafts back in and putting the planets back together, and I was loading it on the trailer .I spent 10 times as long jumping through all the hoops to get on the island and go through all the saftey and security stuff just to get it out of there.

Shimmy1

I know you said a steel mill, but I have to wonder if it is usually this inaccessible at these places? Obviously, management did not care about how things looked on paper, why? Is the mill getting ready to close the doors, or are they making so much bank from contracts that they just don't care? Island location, high security, no preview, this sounds like a government thing to me.

Grantc

Well, if you wanna hear it's government, ok. It's a steel mill and a power plant on a island in Detroit . Big buisness doesn't allways make the best decisions I guess .

Grantc

Did they say anything when you were fixing it or drove it on the trailer?
Not really .just kind of a pain in the but, gotta schedule ahead of time the days and times. Give them names that will be there, and get all approved .Had to go down there 5 times to get it all buttoned up and ready to ship back home .

Welder Dave

Well worth the trouble! You could double your money or more pretty easily I think. Like was said, maybe spend 8-10K getting it cleaned up and painted and sell it for over 100K. The loaders sound like an even better deal. Did they run and operate properly?

Grantc

Well worth the trouble! You could double your money or more pretty easily I think. Like was said, maybe spend 8-10K getting it cleaned up and painted and sell it for over 100K. The loaders sound like an even better deal. Did they run and operate properly?

They drove them outta the gate I was told.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Well, if you wanna hear it's government, ok. It's a steel mill and a power plant on a island in Detroit . Big buisness doesn't allways make the best decisions I guess .
Bit of a larf , they might not have said much but bet they were thinking a bit . Always pays to check the cheap bits first . They may have a box of spare injectors waiting for you phone call . You sure it was a steelmill ? sounds more like a bunny farm .

satkinson

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Keep it just change engine oil and filter every 200 hrs, we halfed heui failures on c9s when we went on 200 hrs oil changes, it has cost implications but definitely the cheapest way to go in the long run.