1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D8R Final drive gears and housing

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Robert0769, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Dave Neubert

Dave Neubert Senior Member

Yes they would not give credit for a cracked case. I would want to see the bad carriers. I would think you could sleeve the spun hole. I can't beleive that they want to replace all those parts and not Warranty it. If that was the case I would go with aftermarket parts nd run it

2. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    The pin bores are regularly rebuilt by metal spraying. I have been involved with a number of 10T and 777 units recently. There are service guidelines and size specs available.

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I was looking in Salvage Guidelines Ray. Maybe I should have been looking at Service Mags or Special Instructions....

4. Robert0769

Robert0769 Well-Known Member

Center has broken teeth and top is destroyed. Other 3 don't have physical damage but I don't know how worn the teeth are.

Attached Files:

5. Robert0769

Attached Files:

6. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Ide risk the $1000.00 myself and put in 2 new gears and bearings in the one.

mg2361 likes this.
  7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I would say that's been awfully hot based on the colour of the carrier..........I don't think I would trust any bearing in that assembly to go again after it had been to that temperature.
    Also the oil in the last photo looks kinda thick & discoloured, but that may just be because it's been so hot.

I'll agree to disagree with my learned friend above and say that I wouldn't risk the other three undamaged planet gears in that reduction assembly however good they looked. When you're already in for 2 new carriers at $7k for the pair an extra $1k for the gears is neither here nor there.

nicky 68a likes this.
  8. Robert0769

Agreed thanks for your time

9. Dave Neubert

Where is the crack on the outside carrier and I looked on machinery trader and they show a bunch of used planetarys

10. Robert0769

The crack was along one of the shank holes

11. Dave Neubert

yea that is a bad place to have a crack a lot of stress there

12. Robert0769

Cat asked if they could keep the old parts. Funny, wonder why if they're no good and can't be repaired

Dozer is running again yay

13. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Tell them to FRO (aka "that'll be be a no"), unless they are prepared to explain exactly why they want them and/or are prepared to pay for them......

balls2go likes this.