• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8K interesting tidbits in trans magnet and screen

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
Doing a trans service this morning on one of my K's and I found these in the transmission magnet/screen. I've seen a lot of crud in the screens in my days but I've never seen pieces shaped like this and such a number of them. The cat still functions perfectly normal and there was very little small filings along with these chunks. Just curious if anyone has see anything like them and where they could be from? My thoughts is steering clutches but I've been wrong before. Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov1ln1fc30betm1/Photo 2013-07-23 10 45 34 AM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rov19pxyf2z2ye/Photo 2013-07-23 10 45 51 AM.jpg

Old Magnet

Looks like you have a bearing cage that has come apart with the bearing seperators and piece of the cage. Rollers are probably still in there but are now not properly supporting it's shaft.....and a forcast/warning of bad things to come.

Without doing any research I'm thinking this would be a heavy duty bearing, maybe bevel gear pinion???

Last edited:

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
So what your saying magnet is instead of putting new oil back in I might as well pull the trans out? Haha

It looks like the size of the bearing on the back of the trans shaft

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Already got the 3/4 drive impact out, rattling canopy bolts out. Having a sandwich. Pulling the transmission in the bush. I've always been a "spend alittle now, to save a lot down the road" kinda guy.

I know by continuing to operate it will only explode into a million pieces.... Already drained the oil anyways, no sense dumping a grand worth of oil in it only to drain it again next week and do it all over again plus changing many more trans parts and a possible bevel gear

CatSkinner77V

Occupation

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Ya DPete darn lucky I caught it. It happened to be too wet and thought my trans oil change was coming up soon anyways. So that's how I caught it. Couldnt imagine what carnage would occur if those rollers fell out an landed In the pinion and bevel gear... Yikes! Could just change the bearing through the back. But I think a guy would be foolish not to rip it down since its out and see if anything else is ready to come apart in there

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Got the trans all apart an everything looks pretty good. No pitting on gears and needle bearings on planetary shaft look good. Transfer case gear has alittle slop on the spline of the pinion gear but I have yet to take apart a d8 trans mission that doesn't.

Only thing I need to replace is the bearing that went out and the input shaft... It's worn where that bearing rides. Funny they never designed it with a race you can change there or a sleeve of some sort. I am an auction sale junky so I've got a good shaft out of one of my parts cats I dismantled this past winter. Has anyone taken an input shaft to a machine shop and got that end sleeved before? I have had no luck in the past building stuff like that up and lathing it down.. Never get it hard enough.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
I guess as long as you don't plan on ever running a winch on the Said machine you could get machined down and sleeved. A the spline would have to lathed down too to get a sleeve on

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
They can be built up with hard chrome, then reground; there was a cat reuseability guide about doing it, came out in the 80s.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Only thing I need to replace is the bearing that went out and the input shaft... It's worn where that bearing rides. Funny they never designed it with a race you can change there or a sleeve of some sort. I am an auction sale junky so I've got a good shaft out of one of my parts cats I dismantled this past winter. Has anyone taken an input shaft to a machine shop and got that end sleeved before? I have had no luck in the past building stuff like that up and lathing it down.. Never get it hard enough.
My suggestion would be to try to find a machine shop to build up the shaft using the metal spraying process then machine back to original size. Chrome might be too hard and you'd have a devil of a job grinding it back to finished size.

Old Magnet

Hard chrome is fine for journal type bearings but I have found it to be to thin and brittle for roller bearings and leads to spalling. Sleeve (with reasonably thick wall) would be nice but I would not be anxious to give up any meat from the splines.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As mentioned above by Merv there is a reusability guide giving the procedure for recovering a shaft damaged like yours. Guess what, I have a copy .......... if you want it please drop me a PM with an e-mail address and I'l fire it off to you.