• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8H Starter solenoid rebuild or replace… see pictures

D8HCattle

Starter solenoid has been sticking. Cat say there is no replacement part for it and they do not stock this starter anymore. Unfortunately the local starter rebuild guy passed away here in central Maine, he was a great guy.

I like to either rebuild or replace… any advice or leads would be great.

I noticed the small ground? wire, adjacent to the small starter wire post, had burnt off or broke off some time ago. The took kit mount is right above the starter so unfortunately it doesn’t get looked at too often. The only wires removed where the large 3/0 24v positive, a small red wire what also was on the same post as the large 24v positive, and a white wire going to one of the smaller post.

please feel free to criticize and critique! Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2799.jpeg
    IMG_2799.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The Delco-Remy 50MT starter with a part number of 1109632 is obsolete from Delco-Remy, and has been for a number of years.

Delco-Remy, along with many other manufacturers have now gone over to the manufacture of lighter and cheaper PGR (planetary gear reduction) and OSGR (offset gear reduction) starters.

PGR and OSGR starters run lighter build electric motors that run at higher speeds than the old-style direct drive starters, such as the 50MT.
PGR and OSGR motors drive small gear sets to produce higher torque at the pinion with lower current draw.
You can easily purchase new replacement PGR and OSGR starters to install in place of your direct drive starter - in fact, Delco-Remy want you to do that.

Many PGR and OSGR starters now come with "soft start" mechanisms in the pinion drive that engage the pinion slowly to reduce pinion and flywheel ring gear teeth shock loading and damage.

However, this is not to say that the old-style direct drive starters are going out of production.

Because all the patents on the old direct drive starters have expired, a huge number of Asian manufacturers in places such as China and Taiwan and Korea have ramped up production of the old-style direct drive starters, and they're cheap and plentiful.

There have also been aftermarket manufacturers in the U.S. and Canada that produced aftermarket versions of the old direct drive starters - but these manufacturers are slowly being overwhelmed by the Asian products - simply because of volume manufacturing.

If you look on eBay, you will find sellers with both used and new, and NOS direct drive starters and components, and also military and Govt surplus starters and components.
Just type "Delco-Remy 50MT" into the search menu, and it also helps, to tick the "include description" box on the right.

Last edited:

D8HCattle

Is that a “wet” flywheel housing? Keep that in mind if you swap starters. The 50MT is a heavy beast.
It is, I was able to source a direct replacement from Remy Usung the serial number off the original starter. However at no point was I asked if it was a wet flywheel housing. Should I be concerned? I figure Remy would know if the serial numbers match.

ozarkag

No, Delco will certainly know by their part number.
You say direct replacment, a 39mt? Or new 50mt?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
If you're going the route of a complete new replacement starter - then, Yes - I would be concerned over whether the supplier has supplied a "wet" sealed starter, or a more common "dry" unsealed starter.

The parts person should have asked you for the starter application, and make and model of machine.

Even the Delco Remy site doesn't advise whether starters are "wet" or "dry" on their starter descriptions - despite providing all the other myriad of specifications and varieties.

You have to trawl through the parts books to find out whether the nose cone has a seal or not.

When ordering, you should provide the Series (50MT), the Type (250), the Model number (1109632), the Serial (71K05), the Voltage (24V) and the Rotation (CW).

It also assists parts interpreters to provide them with the number of pinion teeth, as there can be a range of number of teeth.

D8HCattle

Tried a new solenoid first and no luck then went for a new starter. Dozer spun to life on a cold New England day. Now taking the old starter to have rebuilt. Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_2806.jpeg
    IMG_2806.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2814.jpeg
    IMG_2814.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 11

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That's not actually a spec sheet, it's a factory test sheet. It's interesting how they've got the starter part number listed as SDR0416, and the voltage as 24V, and the pinion as 12 tooth - but the part number SDR0416 is actually a 12V, 11 tooth starter - a totally different starter.

So I'm not sure how much reliance you could place on that test sheet. No brand name shows it's just a generic Chinese starter, and the sellers put their own brand name on it.
It hasn't even got the testers name or signature on it! Just paying lip service to ISO QC record requirements.

D8HCattle

That's not actually a spec sheet, it's a factory test sheet. It's interesting how they've got the starter part number listed as SDR0416, and the voltage as 24V, and the pinion as 12 tooth - but the part number SDR0416 is actually a 12V, 11 tooth starter - a totally different starter.

So I'm not sure how much reliance you could place on that test sheet. No brand name shows it's just a generic Chinese starter, and the sellers put their own brand name on it.
It hasn't even got the testers name or signature on it! Just paying lip service to ISO QC record requirements.
My error on calling it a spec sheet, I knew it was a test sheet when I posted it. Good eyes. I bought it from my friend on 25 years at a parts place for all things heavy equipment... tractors, excavator, semi’s trucks.. he gave me a no hassle return or replace on the starter. Got it in, overnight shipping. Said he has had very good use and reviews with this starter and company, I honestly wouldn’t take his word as lip service. Cat will not stock or replace, so like you said earlier Remy doesn’t even give you the info you need. Guess we will see, in the mean time I’m getting the job done and getting the older one rebuilt. I compared every visible part of this starter to the original and it all matched, they are in a great location but still a bear to install due to the weight. However I really do appreciate your input, and your concerns are all valid. Plus the links to the additional info you shared was awesome.

D8HCattle

If just replacing the solenoid it should not matter.
Your right, I came to that conclusion later then I wanted. In hindsight all the symptoms were a bad starter. Sadly if you see in another previous thread.… I was chasing my tail with 1 bad fairly new cat battery. Made me think the solenoid was sticking yet at this point it was a bad battery also hiding a bad starter. During that swap I also reclamped a new 3/0 pos terminal lug on the dozer’s side wire, due to a loose previously clamped lug, that may have been contributing to the problem.
Bringing it back to this original post in this thread.. I imagine the small ground wire that hard burnt off (unnoticeable due to the tool box above it) was initial signs of a bad starter.