• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7F Transmission over heating after 3-4 hours

Wiggo

Hello All,

I have a D7F serial number 92E1986 with the Cat 3306 engine and i am told that model has the lastest of the D7F transmissions, better than the earlier ones, but not as good as the D6C trans. A bit of History, purchased from a deceased estate as a very tidy machine, worked it on a few projects with this current transmission over heating problem. the motor got a knock in it so we pulled it out did a full out of chassis rebuild including the torque converter, the mechanic said he was 90% sure that the overheating was from a worn converter. so $50k later we still have a brand-new motor and a transmission problem.

Outline, the tractor will start working for the day build temp to normal working temps and stabilize, work it hard the water temp and the trans temp will rise and fall together, trans will change and work as it should, after about 3-4 hours the trans temp will start to climb ahead of the engine temp and from there on there is nothing you can do to correct it. You pull up and let the temps normalize the minute you work it the trans temp will climb faster than the engine temp again, we dont work it into red but once it gets hot the trans will stop pushing and the right-hand foot brake plays up. Its like a valve opens and is bypassing oil inside the transmission. shut it down and walk away. tomorrow morning it will start up and work like new again. it has a lot of blokes beat.

What we have done, checked and cleaned the suction filters, nothing worth reporting in them, pulled the cooler apart cleaned and checked, dropped the oil, replaced with a slightly heavier oil. checked the pressure on the Hyd pump and scavenger pump all tested ok (note i would like if someone had the pressures so i can double check) replaced the torque converter, none of this changed it in any way.

We have been doing light work with it over the past 12 months nothing has changed, now we have another dozer coming to chain some country, so really want to get it sorted so we can work a full day. any help would be greatly appreciated.

note the machine is out on one of our properties a few hours west so my response time to check things will be delayed.

.RC.

I cannot help you out but I found the S/N interesting as 92E1985 is located in my part of the world. It was ex Main Roads Department.

Wiggo

Thanks for that, that is very interesting. it would explain why it was tidy for its age

Attachments

• 20201102_121858.jpg
    20201102_121858.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 16

.RC.

Here is it's sibling some time ago. Yours has no tree spear (the one in the photo's below was added after the MRD sold it) and I doubt it came out with that ROPS fitted, as the has the same sweeps design welded onto the hard nose.

d7f bunga gully8.jpgd7f bunga gully10.jpg

Last edited:

.RC.

Yea it is the one before yours.

I notice you said the right footbrake plays up. The brakes on them have no power boost, entirely manual in operation. So is the steering clutch not disengaging? Maybe due to low pressure?

You mention you checked hyd pump and scavenger pump pressures being fine, but not the transmission pressures when it is playing up.

Is the transmission slipping once the oil gets hot? When you say it does not pull, is the output shaft from the torque converter spinning?

I take it you do not have a service manual?

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What oils were you using before and after changing grades.?

Have you ever had the transmission pump apart.?

You say you checked pump pressure. Did you ever check transmission P1 & P2 (speed & direction clutch) pressures.? Maybe it might pay to have some gauges installed all the time the tractor is working so that you can observe any changes as the powertrain oil temperature increases.

I’ll look up the pressure specifications and post them up.

Nige

I have a D7F serial number 92E1986 with the Cat 3306 engine and i am told that model has the lastest of the D7F transmissions,
It should have. They were fitted from 92E01752-Up as far as I can tell.

Attached is the Test & Adjust. I think it is the correct one for your style of transmission. Check the physical location of the pressure test points on your machine against what the illustrations show. If they match up 100% it is the correct one, because the "old-style" transmission test points are in different places. If they don't match up let me know and I'll find the one for the other style of transmission.

Attachments

• REG01416.pdf
    476 KB · Views: 3

Nige

If you want a Parts Manual for it then you will have to get one for a 94N US-built machine because from what I can see there is no Parts Manual for anything above 92E1751 (D333C engine & old-style transmissoin). Search for UEG0735S.

1714488025462.png

Wiggo

Yea it is the one before yours.

I notice you said the right footbrake plays up. The brakes on them have no power boost, entirely manual in operation. So is the steering clutch not disengaging? Maybe due to low pressure?

You mention you checked hyd pump and scavenger pump pressures being fine, but not the transmission pressures when it is playing up.

Is the transmission slipping once the oil gets hot? When you say it does not pull, is the output shaft from the torque converter spinning?

I take it you do not have a service manual?
Hello RC, thanks for this. I haven't checked the Transmission pressures, I don't have a Manuel as i have never been able to find the correct one, yes the output shaft is still spinning and the transmission is slipping, it could well be the steering clutch and the driver is telling me brakes.

Wiggo

If you want a Parts Manual for it then you will have to get one for a 94N US-built machine because from what I can see there is no Parts Manual for anything above 92E1751 (D333C engine & old-style transmissoin). Search for UEG0735S.

View attachment 311292
Hello Nige, thanks for your help with the above 3 posts. I will track down the correct Manuel, install gauges on the transmission and put it to work for the day and come back with the pressures we have cold, operating temp and Hot. It will take me a few weeks to get this sorted. if there are any other tests while we are out there let me know. Thanks again.

Nige

I don't have a Manuel as i have never been able to find the correct one,
The Service Manual for the "higher series" of 92E (above 92E1752 in other words) is the same Cat Publication REG00691 manual as a 94N machine with a Serial number above 94N5660. It's available on CD for US$198 from HERE. Unfortunately it will have to come from the US unless you can find a copy of REG00691 in Oz.

Nige

yes the output shaft is still spinning and the transmission is slipping
Lift the floorplate and with the systems cold at first startup in the morning, try this - with the engine idling engage first gear. The shaft between the converter output and the transmission input should stop absolutely dead as though someone stuck a prybar in one of the U-joints. Then try all the other gears, forward and reverse, but at idling speed only.

chidog

50K for and engine and TC overhaul, wow. Could have got another newer larger dozer for that.
Spent lots of time on D7F's big toy with no push in my opinion.

Wiggo

Lift the floorplate and with the systems cold at first startup in the morning, try this - with the engine idling engage first gear. The shaft between the converter output and the transmission input should stop absolutely dead as though someone stuck a prybar in one of the U-joints. Then try all the other gears, forward and reverse, but at idling speed only.
Thanks Nige, we will try this when we get out there to test pressures.

.RC.

If you want the info for testing the transmission, I can get a service manual for the later 92E early next week and scan in the relevant section.

Wiggo

That would be great if you could, we are going to start the testing Nige has put up at the end of this week. I have tried to find one in AU but no luck. Will order one from the US.

Wiggo

Should have mentioned to also do it when everything is hot and the transmission is overheating as well.
Hello Nige, I was out at the property today today and got on the dozer for a hour or so. Cold with engine lifted just above stalling idle. The drive shaft slows down and then snaps to a stop when selecting all gears. Worked for an hour or so hard same result at full working temp. But I didn't have time to work it until the fault showed its head.