• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7E 48A starter issue

texaschad25

I've had the starter on my 7E rebuilt 3 times over the past 2 years. After coming out of the shop, it will start fine for several months, then the starter will delay before spinning over. Once I hit the button, I can hear the relay, then it may take 1 second or it may take 3 or 4 seconds before it starts turning over. As you know, big starters are expensive to rebuild. It's not a hard machine to start, so the starter hasn't been overworked. And I may start the dozer 2 or 3 times a week.
Has anyone had similar issues?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hard to diagnose from a distance but I'd be checking wiring and the relay. Either that or find a new starter rebuilder!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Crappy grounds would be first suspect. Burned contacts in battery switch would be the second. Voltage drop test should tell you where the problem lies.
I'm willing to bet you may need a new solenoid again. Low voltage destroys the plunger contacts.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm thinking the same, except he says it starts fine for a while and gradually craps the bed. Now he's reporting that from the time the relay clicks, there's a long delay till the starter cranks slowly. Too me, that sounds like a poor ground/cable/lug. Just my thoughts, that is why I suggested voltage drop test.

DPete

Agree on the bad ground, replace the ground switch if it doesn't have a distinct click, follow and clean where the cable ends into the machine.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
sounds like a ground problem , I have john deere power unit in a machine and had the same problem , rebuilt the starter no help , and my rebuilder said to run the ground cable to the starter fixed it.
replace the ground cable and go from the battery and hook it to one of the bolts on the starter

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
sounds like a ground problem , I have john deere power unit in a machine and had the same problem , rebuilt the starter no help , and my rebuilder said to run the ground cable to the starter fixed it.
replace the ground cable and go from the battery and hook it to one of the bolts on the starter

Not saying a good ground isn't important but we need to keep in mind that all connections from the battery to starter and back to the battery are equally important.

One could start by doing voltage drop tests starting at the + terminal of the battery and check from one side of each connection and from one end of each wire to the other to help locate where the voltage is dropping the most. Same with the two large terminals on the solenoid while attempting to start. Do this all the way back to the - terminal on the battery.