• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

d7 piony motor shot.will electric work

B Brown

hello everyone.new to the site and just bought a d7 cat.mid 6oty i think.pull starts so easy.will a electric start do the job?sorry im a little green when it comes to dozers..i alredy removed the pony as it has a broken rod and a big hole in the block.i hope i didnt buy i can of worms.lolpictures will come soon.love the site.alot of great info

lantraxco

I have no personal experience with these, but do know that many of them were converted to "Direct electric" start. Post your serial number and maybe one or more of the "old guys" will help you out? :rolleyes:

BillG

I'm sure that Old Magnet aka OM will be around here soon. He has a web page devoted to the subject, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. If he doesn't respond send him a PM. I am also in the middle of doing a conversion, a #12 8T to electric start.

pf/l

Finding a starter with the helical pinion can be difficult. If it is indeed a mid 60tys it will be a d7e. Could be a 17a as well if your dates are off. My d7e had a conversion done before I got it. It had a 40mt delco on it. I put a new 50mt on it last year with my old nose cone on it. Cost me 350 dollars. My supplier can get and will sell the helical pinions but does have trouble getting them from time to time. He was out if stock when I got mine that's why I used my old nose cone.

fixou812

There's a video on YouTube starter for dozer converted to hydraulic
he started it with a wet line from his farm tractor.

B Brown

Here is the serial number that was written on the service manual17a12746.Cant seem to locate it on the machine for some reason.Number on the block is 34b1275.Thanks old magnet for the link to the starter.

Nige

If the 17A12746 on the Service Manual refers to your actual machine then it is a D7D and dates from mid-1959.
34B1275 is the Engine Serial Number. It's a D334 model.

Mike Mc

My pony ran great but the clutch had issues so with the help of OM I just put a MT50 on my 17A. It fires right up, I spin the engine on decompression while giving it a sniff of either then after a few seconds throw the compression lever and it comes right to life.

If your interested in my old pony $500. Mike 661-331-2996

Attachments

• IMG_2101.jpg
    IMG_2101.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 481

Mike Mc

OM, the 17A is already in Santa Margarita. In the picture I wired the solenoid up to 12 volts. The starter chattered and rattled like crazy. After moving the 10 ga. wire to 24 volts at the starter it worked perfect.

B Brown

If you were close to me i would buy that pony.But im going with the mt50 like you did.Sounds like you have no problem getting youres to start.Thanks for the info i will let you know how i make out when it gets here.Tried to find out the year and my local cat dealer said the serial number is from a john deere.i think they are way off and dont see alot of older machines there.It sure isnt a j.d.

Old Magnet

Nige is correct, 17A12746 is a 1959 model. Unless you can find an old gray hair/no hair your kinda on your own.
You will find that you pretty much have to come up with your own parts numbers to go shopping as well.

chevota84

That's how I start my 17a, roll it a few times and throw the compression release. Mine has glow plugs, but it still starts pretty easy even without using them.

lantraxco

They were part of the conversion kit I think, back when CAT supplied the Direct electric conversions... new precups and glow plugs, worked off the starter switch, turn left like the newer machines? Don't quote me that included 17A's...

Old Magnet

The 17A can be set up with glow plugs using the pre-combustion chambers and glow plugs from the later 47/48A's
No, the 17A's never came that way.

Mud Logger

Back in the 70's I converted my ole D7E to 24Volt from the old pony which got weak. The 24 volt starter may be harder to come by with the right gear. Then you need a 24 v alt. I used the big 12 volt batts mounted the box on the fender. If you don't use the dozer a lot and the pony can be fixed some times that is the best, compared to dead batteries and all. Mine eventually burnt up on a land clearing job, the cause was linked back to a 24 volt wiring short!