• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6N questions

Shimmy1

2004 Caterpillar D6N
Serial ALR00371

This machine has fingertip steering. I didn't know any 6Ns were built like this? a2a0f544-fba7-4e16-a8a6-29f4aea4f7c4.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
2004 Caterpillar D6N
Serial ALR00371

This machine has fingertip steering. I didn't know any 6Ns were built like this?
All the ALR-prefix machines are clutch & brake steering. Also all of the ALH, CBF, CBJ, & CCG prefix D6N models were built that way.
The other 21 prefixes of D6N were all built with differential steering........

Shimmy1

All the ALR-prefix machines are clutch & brake steering. Also all of the ALH, CBF, CBJ, & CCG prefix D6N models were built that way.
The other 21 prefixes of D6N were all built with differential steering........
Thanks, Nige. I had no idea that any 6N machines had clutch steering. Also, some literature I have found suggests they are about 6 tons lighter? I can't even imagine how that's possible. Misprint?Screenshot_20240107-142843.png

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
"All dimensions, wegihts, etc, are approximate..........." I can't see why there would be so much difference in weight.

That is approx operating weight BTW.
PHB gives 15,530kg as base weight for a D6N and 16,930kg as base weight for an LGP version.