• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6H leaking final drive seal

tracksfan

I've got a D6H ser#4RC1XXX leaking oil from the final drives into the transmission. I figure its the seal, part #30 in the parts pic. I would like to pull the axle and replace the seal without removing the final from the machine. My book doesn't have assembly/disassembly info. Whats the best way to do this?

Thanks

:beatsme

Attachments

• d6h final drive parts pic 002.jpg
    d6h final drive parts pic 002.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,900

LonestarCobra

You will have to pull the planetary at the very least. Pull the axle, then remove the outermost circle of bolts and slide the planetary out. I have never replaced that seal like that, but it is possible. If you have to remove the retainer plate that holds the ring gear hub and final drive hub to the spindle, keep in mind it is possible that you could lose preload on your bearings. Probably wont happen, usually that outer bearing is tight on the spindle. Just be careful.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
tracksfan,
I am pretty sure that you can change that seal out like lonstarcobra has said.

Not to hijack your post about the seal but I also owned a 4rc1xxx model. It had 22,000 hrs on it when we sold it.

tracksfan

d6peg,

22,000 hours and just getting loosened up and the paint worn off the blade? Any pics?

Mine is almost half way there and in pretty good shape.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
Dont have any pics, but she was pretty much used up by then. We bought her with 16000 hrs on it and it was a good machine my serial # was 4rc01741.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
My D6H is a early model and all you had to do to change out the seal on it was take off the outside small cover ,pull the axile and get in there and hook the seal and pull it out and replace.Never had to remove the whole final or planterys.

I was loosing oil and we had to put the new seal in backwards from what the factory installed ,because the lip needed to be turned to face to the inside .Because the final has more pressure then the transmisson had.

Luckly the serial number on my machine had longer seal area on the axile to turn the seal around.Some you had to replace the axile for more seal surface to run on.

The new seal are suppose to be double liped to fix the problem.Good luck.:usa

tracksfan

Construct'O, Thanks for the reply, I will post an update when I get a chance to work on that seal. I'm gonna try taking the little plate like your talking about off first and go from there.

tracksfan

update

Ok. I couldn't get the seal out through the small center plate, had to take off the planetaries. I modified my crappy shop crane by turning the boom around, reattached the braces and made some counter weights with 2" thick steel plate, 2 manhole grates and a sack of kwikcrete. Then I could get to the planetary cover without the shop crane legs getting in the way. I made a tool to attach to the middle of the cover so I could lift and tilt the cover to get it on and off. This worked out great. I forgot to take a good pic.

pics of the old seals, the planetaries, and the new seal installed.

New seals didn't look like much, hope they work.

:usa

Attachments

• 0424091557.jpg
    0424091557.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 0424091439.jpg
    0424091439.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,302
  • 0424091217.jpg
    0424091217.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,221

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
reattached the braces and made some counter weights with 2" thick steel plate, 2 manhole grates and a sack of kwikcrete.

I can't help it, that "sack of kwikcrete" sounds as redneck as it gets. :D But I absolutely love it! I have a feeling the crappy shop crane and counterweights just became a "permanent modification." :) Nice shop repair. :notworthy Is that a Case loader/hoe I see in the background? :cool2

tracksfan

ATCOEQUIP,

Your post gave me a good laugh! The crane is alot more useful now and I can change it back in 5 minutes if needed.

Yes thats a case 580K in the background with 4 in 1 bucket, open cab, and extendahoe. Its converted from the 4 stick with pedal swing to 2 lever hoe controls. It keeps my wrenches busy but not a bad machine.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Great idea with the crane Tracksfan! very useful i bet!

td25c

Thats quick thinking reversing the boom on the shop crane tracksfan.Good presentation and pictures.If I wasent in fear of being called a redneck I would throw a few sack's of kwikcrete on the grove crane.